cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zone Alarm - Should I Bother ?

N/A

Zone Alarm - Should I Bother ?

I have a Speedtouch 510 router controling my network. As the topic subject suggests, do I need to bother with a firewall on each PC. Will the router by default stop any unwanted incoming connections to my pc (or can I set it to ?)

Last but not least, will zone alarm affect my ping times at all ?

Thanks

Bill
4 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Zone Alarm - Should I Bother ?

You cant have to much protection so its a good idea to have a firewall anyway. It does slow things down but it is debatable if you would notice it.
The router will give you NAT protection which means you local ip wont go out on the net but unless it has a firewall built in it could allow people in.

The main use I find from running a fire wall is it stops outgoing connections those pesky call home programs and spy wear.

You dont say if you are running any high risk apps like webserves SQL etc. These are things you have to watch for because of all the worms which try to seak out these apps. The latest SQL worm has caused major problems in the last week.
>
>
> I have a Speedtouch 510 router controling my network. As the topic subject suggests, do I need to bother with a firewall on each PC. Will the router by default stop any unwanted incoming connections to my pc (or can I set it to ?)
>
>
> Last but not least, will zone alarm affect my ping times at all ?
>
>
> Thanks
>
>
> Bill
>

N/A

Yeah, I had forgotten about the outgoing stuff.

I don't have any servers set up on my system, about the only thing I may set up is a quake 3 server.

I think I will just leave ZA on.

Bill

> You cant have to much protection so its a good idea to have a firewall anyway. It does slow things down but it is debatable if you would notice it.
> The router will give you NAT protection which means you local ip wont go out on the net but unless it has a firewall built in it could allow people in.
>
> The main use I find from running a fire wall is it stops outgoing connections those pesky call home programs and spy wear.
>
> You dont say if you are running any high risk apps like webserves SQL etc. These are things you have to watch for because of all the worms which try to seak out these apps. The latest SQL worm has caused major problems in the last week.
> >
> >
> > I have a Speedtouch 510 router controling my network. As the topic subject suggests, do I need to bother with a firewall on each PC. Will the router by default stop any unwanted incoming connections to my pc (or can I set it to ?)
> >
> >
> > Last but not least, will zone alarm affect my ping times at all ?
> >
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> >
> > Bill
> >
>
>

N/A

I run 2 PCs behind a router at times each one running ZA, however one is ZA Pro the other on a freebie. The freebie version does not like the LAN and blocks certains site just by hanging even if it doesn't load up whe the system starts, have to startup then shutdown and all is OK.

Pro works fine....
N/A

>
>
> I have a Speedtouch 510 router controling my network. As the topic subject suggests, do I need to bother with a firewall on each PC. Will the router by default stop any unwanted incoming connections to my pc (or can I set it to ?)
>

I would suggest that you _do_ install a software firewall. One benefit is that the software firewall can restrict traffic based on the running application, rather than just the protocol/port/direction. Handy since it can help stop viruses/trojans from propagating.