cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zero IP Bridge

N/A

Zero IP Bridge

Can anyone recommend a cheap bridge/router which I can use in "Zero IP Bridge" mode i.e. transparent from the inside - an internal box would obtain DHCP from Plusnet and that would be the "public IP", while the router does not have an external address.

I want to do this because I wish to have a netscreen firewall use the single free static IP thus simplifying VPN setup, email etc.

Many thanks for suggestions.

Regards,
Paul McGinnie
7 REPLIES
N/A

Zero IP Bridge

Couldn’t you use a router with a DMZ and just route all incoming ext traffic to your internal IP? But this makes the pc completely accessible from the outside world, is that really what you want? Why not just forward the relevant ports and leave the rest blocked.

Eg forward the following

For VPN:
TCP/UDP Port 1723

For Email servers:
Tcp port 25

For FTP servers:
TCP/UDP ports 20 to 21
And also a data range for passive mode normally you would use:
TCP/UDP ports 1401 to 1500

Kind regards

Kbaines
N/A

Zero IP Bridge

I think the thing you're after is usually referred to as a USB modem.
N/A

Zero IP Bridge

A quick search on google for "Zero IP Bridge" or ZIPB may help.

The D-link 500G is supposed to have this (though I havn't confirmed).

ZIPB is a method of having a router that will route the IP directly into your network (thus your NIC is assigned the public IP) yet you can still use the NAT feature of the router (thus still have a network of systems).

While a DMZ can effectivly do the same, DMZ is a NAT feature, and still uses a private LAN IP.
N/A

Zero IP Bridge

I am puzzled as to why somebody would want to do this. Perhaps the original poster could explain a bit more?

Ed.
N/A

Zero IP Bridge

Or how about the SpeedTouch 510:

This profile effectively bypasses the router functionality of the SpeedTouch which acts a bridge for a single connection between the server on the LAN and the WAN.

The existing network is attached to the SpeedTouch and the Speedtouch configured to reside on the LAN. The first device to connect to the SpeedTouch will recieve the Network address and routing information from the SpeedTouch

Only a single device can be connected to the internet though further connectivity can be enabled through the separate device.

This profile can be useful where the SpeedTouch is being used to replace an ISDN Ethernet TA as it enables the existing network settings to remain unchanged.

See http://www.dslsupport.co.uk/networks_dhcpspoof.asp
N/A

Zero IP Bridge

hi, the solwise sar 110 does this fine, as i use it myself.
N/A

Zero IP Bridge

it would be simpler to enable NAT on a ethernet router, although you may find certain things maynot work like MSN messenger voice protocol and filesharing?