cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your daily bandwidth usage:

N/A

Your daily bandwidth usage:

With up to 5.5GB a day of download bandwidth available to a 512kbps connection I wondered how much you use?

According to DU Meter's Totals feature, I use between 5MB to <1GB a day. I would barely be using 5.5GB in a month let alone a day.

So if there was a download limit then 1GB would be just right and stop those p2p bandwidth bandits. :bandit:
10 REPLIES
jlpappin
Grafter

RE: Your daily bandwidth usage:

Well I use DSL to use p2p so I think a download limit is dumb in my opinion. There is a package designed for people with no p2p usage.
N/A

> Well I use DSL to use p2p so I think a download limit is dumb in my opinion. There is a package designed for people with no p2p usage.

While it is designed for people who don't require P2P, it doesn't stop the P2P users on the full account eating the bandwidth of the provider up.

The non-P2P accoout only prevents it's use, it doesn't stop the effects of P2P users on the other account types.
N/A

How would this work. Sometimes i have to download files larger than 1 GB, these files are not done with a p2p programe, it is also 1 of the reasons that i have got the adsl package as you try downloading a 1 GB file on a 56k connection.
N/A

Well I disagree with capping the bandwidth. I mean you pay your money for 60k/s downloads, you should have the full right to use that available bandwidth.
N/A

> Well I disagree with capping the bandwidth. I mean you pay your money for 60k/s downloads, you should have the full right to use that available bandwidth.
>

hmm....well maybe super heavy users should be "told off" as even myself, I consider a daily lite-medium bandwidth user e.g. surfing, email and the odd download and some mp3 streaming perhaps.
jlpappin
Grafter

I don't get it. If you pay for an always on connection, then why cap it? They should just install more pipes if the traffic gets too heavy. As for P2P, if they banned it I wouldn't care as I got FTP servers holding stuff I need.
N/A

"Always On" is a clever marketing term unless you really have a leased line. ADSL is like the cheapest solution closest to a leased line except it breaks down a lot and your not entitled to compensation as you are with a leased line that you do pay to be "always on".

FairADSL ISP starts throttling (or controlling) p2p bandwidth, whose next?
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/newsarchive.asp?item=891
N/A

Just to re-interate, this topic is about how much you download a day, not about being "always on".

It's about bandwidth hoggers who may leave there systems on 24/7 with active p2p connections. It's not the same as the occassional p2p usage like myself, this is constant abuse of the total bandwidth available which affects the service for others BECAUSE REMEMBER THAT THE SERVICE IS CONTENDED 50:1.
jlpappin
Grafter

Nothing in the contract that says don't go over the top with your bandwidth as you share it. Idon't leave my P2P on 24/7 anyways but when I want to download something such asthelatest Linux distros, I leave DAP downloading all 3 CD's at a combined speed of 80kbps or so. Call it hogging if you want but there is rule against it. Just because you use P2P occasionally doesn't make you any better than the rest of us. Maybe their clever marketing terms ought to be thought out properly because I will take advantage of my speed.
jlpappin
Grafter

Also on a regular day I would download about 20MB max playing game/checking email/surfing net. My highest ever bandwidthwas 2GB in period of 12 hours for Linux.