cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xmas Lights and ADSL connection

N/A

My Neighbour has installed flashing Lights and now my ADSL connection goes up and down. Can you suggest anything that I can do to prevent this.

Help please!! I only have 10mins of surfing left! Sad

[Moderator's note (by csogilvie): Duplicate deleted]
7 REPLIES
N/A

shut the elctric off
drw
Grafter

Sometimes a wall wart type transformer charger used to charge mobile phones placed in a socket adjacent to the affected device will reduce the effect of the interference - however if you are using such a device to power the router then you might be better off talking to HiFi dealer to see if they have any suppression equipment they would do a sale or return on.

Also check out
www.russandrews.com

they supply suppression equipment -

good luck
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

I'm afraid this comes up every year, you can try drwright's suggestion, I've seen similar work before otherwise a friendly word with the neighbour might help.
I wouldn't however advise going down the shotgun route though Smiley
N/A

otherwise a friendly word with the neighbour might help

Cue "Neighbours from Hell 6" :lol:
N/A

Ask them to turn it off for a while, just to prove the link.

BT will fit an RF3 radio suppressor if pushed!
N/A

The Register has posted an articles relalting to the same issue

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/12/08/broadband_lights/

to quote

Dodgy Christmas lights are being blamed for knocking over broadband connections with imported flashing lights that don't meet UK electrical standards fingered as the worst offenders.

As a result, BT Wholesale has written to ISPs warning them to be on their guard over the festive season.

"It has come to BT's attention that an extremely small percentage of seasonal lighting, which can be used both internally and externally may cause interference with the broadband service.

"When the lighting control unit is set to any mode other than a steady state it may generate high levels of radio frequency noise and may cause the broadband service to lose synchronisation.

"Investigations have revealed that the broadband service may be impacted where the lights do not meet the standards necessary for customer equipment marking," it said.

So far, only a few dozen instances of flashing Xmas lights felling broadband have been reported. Incidentally, similar advice had to be issued last year. ®

so there you have it, cheap lights are the problem.
therefore your neighbour is a cheap skate . :lol:
N/A

unscrew one of the lights then watch him spend days trying to find it hehe Cheesy