cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xbox live and my DNS settings

N/A

Morning all, I wonder if you could help me out

I'm a relative noice by the way, certainly not an IT expert...

I've got a LAN at home with one PC (a notebook), my xbox and a router. I recently upgraded my broadband to 2mb and now cannot conenct the xbox to xbox live. I dont currently have the pc on the network (it is in my office in Kazakhstan) but the xbox always used to work fine without the notebook on the network.

I havent changed any settings on the router or on the xbox and the DNS server setings are as shown on the plus.net website but everytime I try to connect the xbox I get an error message saying the DNS servers could not be reached. The plus.net support team say they cannot give support to xbox live and can't help me.

Any ideas what the problem may be?

To recap, I have never managed to connect the xbox usign my new 2mb conenction although it worked fine on my 512. I have not changed any settings anywhere and the DNS settings look correct.

Thanks very much
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Do you have any way to prove your new ADSL connection is actually working - i.e with another PC - since you upgraded to 2Mb?

When were you informed your ADSL was now working at 2Mb? It's possible the work was never completed properly and your connection is not actually working if you have never used it since the upgrade?

Can you connect to the router to check it's settings - and to make sure it is actually syncing with the exchange and at the correct speed. DO you have a sync light on the router to prove it is connected? What router are you using?

If you can't prove if you line is working, raise a ticket (or ring them) and ask for a woosh test to be performed to see if they can show your ADSL is working correctly - make sure your router is powered on and connected to your phone line when they do this.
N/A

Hi peter,

No I don't have another pc but I should really get around to buying one.

It's a SAR110 router (I think). and all the lights on the front indicate that it is working OK...

I raised a ticket this morning and will check to see if it's working when I get home tongiht. If not, I'll get in touch and ask them to do a "woosh" test...

I noticed a few weeks ago that the DNS server settings that I originally had (they were given to me August 03 when i first got my connection) were not what were published on the plus.net site. I changed them to the current settings and it was working just fine. I have tried going back to those original DNS serttings but it still doesn't work...

Thanks anyway mate.

Iain
N/A

why dont you let the router get its own dns?
N/A

have tried that mate, doesn't work either. got a response from plus.net last night saying they would look into it.

From what i've read on some other threads, a lot of people are having trouble with the 2mb connection. i might just take it down to 1mb if plusnet cant get it working, it will still be an improvement over my old 512...
N/A

when i had a problem (not related to plusnet) with dns i put the dns ip's in myself got the gateway address from my then ISP and put that in then got the mac address of the xbox from my router and put that in as well and it worked a treat, not saying this will help you but its something to try at least.....
N/A

what i can't understand is if you have an active connection from your router to the net then it should be simple for the xbox to configure its connection shouldnt it?