cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xbox into ethernet hub

N/A

Xbox into ethernet hub

I am having problems connecting an Xbox to the live service through an ethernet hub. Bizarrely PlusNet seem to be able to provide me with no help whatsoever evne down to not knowing what make/model of router they supplied me with.
Anyway, If I connect the Xbox cable to the uplink port of the hub, the connection is recognised by the Xbox, but the PC loses it's connection. So, which port should I put the cable into, and what software changes do I need to make to the router config(an Alcatel chipset) and Zone Alarm to get this to work?
I'd be pathetically grateful for any help . . .
Tim Hodgson
8 REPLIES
N/A

Xbox into ethernet hub

Tim,

try plugging the pc into a different port on the hub. this should let you use both at once.

Next you may or may not have to set up some kind of port forwarding on the router but you should get them both on the network before trying stuff like that.

hope this helps

Bill
N/A

Xbox into ethernet hub

I read on the playstation2 network gaming trial boards that you cant do this sort of thing unless you use a switch instead of a hub, which im hoping is innacurate because I have kit which im hoping will allow me to hook 3 pc's into a hub and connect the adsl router to the hub's uplink. If that don't work, then I'm gonna be screwed! :x :x
N/A

Xbox into ethernet hub

No, I very much doubt this is true.

Thedifference between a hub and switch are minor (though components are not).

A hub will broacast all packets to every device attaches to the hub, meaning that all bandwith is shared.

A switch will only send the data down the one cable to a specific device (or devices, if attached to another hub/switch. This means you get 100MB down each wire, rather than shared. It is also more secure, as data is not broadcast. However, broadcast packets are still done as such, broadcast.

If anything (though not true), it would be more likely that it wouldn't work with a switch, that a hub.
N/A

Xbox into ethernet hub

Hmmm thanks!
I've tried moving the cables around the back of the hub, but it makes no difference. I've already set up port forwarding which has also made no difference.The xbox live helpline sent me this
Hello,

Thanks for contacting the Xbox Customer Care Team with your query.
If you have a firewall in the router you will need to have the following ports open:
UDP 88
UDP 3074
TCP 3074.
Uufortunately, we do not support hubs. If you have a router, you should be able to connect both the
PC and the xbox to it.

If you require further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards,
Willy,
Xbox Customer Care Team

But I'm not sure how to go about this.

Isn't networking just fantastic?
N/A

Xbox into ethernet hub

OK.

So when the PC is functioning, it stops as soon as you plug the xbox in?

When you do this, do you do anything to the cable for the PC?
N/A

Xbox into ethernet hub

Only if I plug it into the socket next to the uplink port which seems to be linked to it. The xbox recognises a connection, but the live service still won't let me in.
Of course everythings fine if I just plug the xbox into the router, but then what's the point of laying out money for a hub (like plusnet told me to)
And no, I don't touch the PC cable.
Also, plusnet have just indicated that they may be supplying me with a new router - a solwise?
Delves
Grafter

Xbox into ethernet hub

Tim...search the forum for Xbox, most of this has been covered. Is you cable between your hub/switch/router a crossover, if so it needs to be straight through, As for ZoneAlarm you will need ZA Pro to open individual ports, I can't remember right now what they are but they are listed in the help section of the xbox live web site.

I use ICS so have never set a direct router connection up, I'm not sure but you might have to put some MAC address details in the Xbox live dashboard to get your connection going.

Have a look here www.britxbox.co.uk.
Delves
Grafter

Xbox into ethernet hub

I should have mentioned that most of the previous posts were in the games forum.....