cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XP machine struggles to connect first time

N/A

I'm using a dynamode ADSL modem (USB) on an XP box. Once connected to the internet there's no problem at all. However, I get a problem when I first boot up the machine. The modem synchronises OK; there are never any problems there. When I try to connect to the internet there's usually no activity between the PC and the modem - the USB lights don't flash, for example (although power is there and the ADSL light is on). The machine tries to connect but then I get an error message about being unable to connect to the remote computer.

I've checked the drivers and they're the most up to date ones (I used to use this modem on a Windows 98 machine, where it worked with no problems on the same phone line)

I usually have to reboot to get things moving, so it seems a bit intermittent. I have a suspicion (unproven) that this may occur if I launch Outlook before Explorer, or if I launch either application before the modem is recognised. But I've also tried leaving the PC to get on with its thing for a few minutes and the same problem often occurs.

Any ideas?
2 REPLIES
N/A

Virus ?
N/A

You need to isalate the error. Boot xp and dont run outlook or explorer untill everything has finished loading. Check there is nothing in startup which may try to dial like anti virus updates or anything else like that.

Then when the modem is up work then try different combinations of stating ie. outlook etc to see were the problem is. Normaly what happens is something like adaware or av updates trys to dial before the modem is up finds its not there so Xp marks it as not in use untill its initalised again.