cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XP and networking

N/A

XP and networking

I am running windows xp on 2 machines and win98 on my laptop.
All 3 computers can see and share files and printers OK but i can not get the 2 computers to connect to the internet, which worked fine before broadband.
I have run the internrt connection wizard and all went fine and the icon says its sharing in my connections but it wont work. HELP PLEASE :?: :?: :?: :?:
9 REPLIES
stonechat
Grafter

ICS

Could be XP firewall?

Bob
N/A

XP and networking

No firewall is turned off
N/A

XP and networking

I have a ME machine in my 4 compuuter network- i couldnt get it to share a connection at first- I removed the communications section from windows setup and then reinstalled- presto - connection shared!

Possibly worth a try on your 98 machine?
N/A

XP and networking

ADSL modem is on one of the XP computers
N/A

XP and networking

I assume you have "allow other computers to connect through this computer" ticked in the 'my network connections - Modem dailup - dialup properties - Advanced' (same tab as the firewall option).
N/A

XP and networking

yes "allow other computers to connect through this computer" is ticked
N/A

XP and networking

Have you thought of running a proxy server on the xp box with the ADSL connection?

There are a few freeware ones around to try.

Tim
N/A

XP and networking

If you have no firewalls running (Zone Alarm, McAfee or XP's own firewall) and the setup wizard has been followed correctly, then it is some wierd quirk of XP.
I know, that if you run the setup wizard again, you have to choose a new name (completely different) for the network. I have had problems in the past where I used the same name for the network (MSHOME) and the old settings were retained. Using a new network name resulted in new settings.
I would run the network setup wizard again but choose a new name for the network and see what happens.
N/A

XP and networking

i removed both ADSL modem and network card restarted computer then shutdown and reinstalled ADSL and network card and now its working fine.
A BIG THANKS to all for your help
EL Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy