cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XP DUN automatic/losing "connect automatically' tick bo

canary2211
Grafter

I have a USB modem and XP with 4 users on a new fast PC. Previous set up was W98 and USB, single user, on a slow PC and all worked fine. That is, when I launched IE or Outlook it connected to broadband/Plusnet automatically.

Now I have to click on "Connect" in the DUN box and if I click on "Connect automatically" it does not remember it for next time. Frustrating rather than a mega problem. I remember there was a W98 problem with this if there were multiple users - it also forgot passwords - so I ran single user and that cured a lot of the trouble. But I like XP multiple users.

PS I run Norton Internet Security 04.

Can anyone help please? XP Support centre has nothing.

I would like to EITHER:

1simply remembering the tick in Connect Automatically, or

2 automatically dail up/when starting IE or OE , or

3 connect automatically at start up (but only after my Norton is protecting me)

Thanks in advance!
3 REPLIES
ncreu
Grafter

Re: XP DUN automatic/losing "connect automatically' tic

I have a USB modem and XP with 4 users on a new fast PC. Previous set up was W98 and USB, single user, on a slow PC and all worked fine. That is, when I launched IE or Outlook it connected to broadband/Plusnet automatically.

This sounds as if you're connecting with Dial-up. I think this forum is for ADSL and broadband.
However, I think your problem can be resolved by altering the settings in IE. Tools>Internet Options>Connections.
You may need to alter the individual dial-up settings as well, being careful to only change one thing at a time in case you make a mistake. It would probably help if you were to reboot the PC after each change and check that you can still connect to the Internet OK before making further changes. Smiley
N/A

USB ADSL modems (and PCI modems too, I believe) connect in the same sort of way as a dialup modem would (i.e. you need to login each time).
canary2211
Grafter

Yes it is USB/Broadband - so I still need some help please