cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X Box live

N/A

X Box live

Does anyone know exactly how to get X box live working? I'm connecting through a router and the x-box doesn't configure automatically. I've tehn tried entering everything manually but can't get it to work, it recognises the IP but then can't "resolve the DNS settings"........I've checked and double checked the server numbers but it still doesn't work. Thanks
4 REPLIES
N/A

RE: X Box live

Is your box chiped?
If it is you will get black listed from Xbox live.
We are working on a fix and will post it soon.

www.open-xbox.com

Luca


> Does anyone know exactly how to get X box live working? I'm connecting through a router and the x-box doesn't configure automatically. I've tehn tried entering everything manually but can't get it to work, it recognises the IP but then can't "resolve the DNS settings"........I've checked and double checked the server numbers but it still doesn't work. Thanks

N/A

RE: X Box live

Nope read that that could cause problems so haven't had that done. Looked into it further and I think I need to reconfigure the router plus.net sold me..........or by a different one!
Thanks


> Is your box chiped?
> If it is you will get black listed from Xbox live.
> We are working on a fix and will post it soon.
>
> www.open-xbox.com
>
> Luca
>
>
> > Does anyone know exactly how to get X box live working? I'm connecting through a router and the x-box doesn't configure automatically. I've tehn tried entering everything manually but can't get it to work, it recognises the IP but then can't "resolve the DNS settings"........I've checked and double checked the server numbers but it still doesn't work. Thanks
>
>

Delves
Grafter
Posts: 188
Registered: 26-08-2007

RE: X Box live

Does you router need any ports opening up, has it any form of firewall. Have a look at http://www.xbox.com/uk/live/intro.htm they have a detail description on setup and a number of diagnostics you can read through.

Here's an extract......

Connect Status Error Message: DNS Not Resolved

Details: Communication error

The Xbox Live service cannot be contacted or is not responding. Please try again later or visit www.xbox.com/uk/live for more information.

You may receive this error message for any of the following reasons:

Something along the Internet path to the Xbox Live servers is down.
The Xbox Live servers are down.

You can check the status of the Xbox Live servers at http://www.xbox.com/support/servicestatus.htm.

Your ISP is experiencing a network outage.

Contact your ISP to determine whether they are experiencing network problems.
Your router's built-in firewall is blocking the ports required for Xbox Live.

A firewall is a security system that acts as a protective boundary between a network and the outside world by blocking network traffic on certain ports.

Connect your Xbox console directly to your modem (bypassing the router) and test to see if the problem is resolved.

If you are able to connect to the network when bypassing your router, you may need to configure your router to allow network communication on the specific ports required for Xbox Live. For Xbox Live to work correctly, the following ports need to be open:

• UDP 88
• UDP 3074
• TCP 3074

Consult your router documentation or router manufacturer for information about how to open the required ports. If you have leased your router from your ISP, contact your ISP for assistance.
Details: DNS error

The DNS servers could not be reached. Verify the DNS Server addresses match the settings provided by your ISP.

This error message may indicate that there is a problem with your ISP's DNS servers.

Connect your Xbox console directly to the modem (bypassing the router). If your ISP requires manual configuration of DNS information, configure the DNS server names in the Network Settings area of the Xbox Dashboard.

If the problem is resolved, reconnect your router, change your DNS settings in the Network Settings area of the Xbox Dashboard back to Automatic, and then configure the DNS server names within the router itself. For information about how to configure connection settings on your router, refer to your router documentation.

If you continue to receive the error message, contact your ISP for DNS server status information.



> Nope read that that could cause problems so haven't had that done. Looked into it further and I think I need to reconfigure the router plus.net sold me..........or by a different one!
> Thanks
>
>
> > Is your box chiped?
> > If it is you will get black listed from Xbox live.
> > We are working on a fix and will post it soon.
> >
> > www.open-xbox.com
> >
> > Luca
> >
> >
> > > Does anyone know exactly how to get X box live working? I'm connecting through a router and the x-box doesn't configure automatically. I've tehn tried entering everything manually but can't get it to work, it recognises the IP but then can't "resolve the DNS settings"........I've checked and double checked the server numbers but it still doesn't work. Thanks
> >
> >
>
>

N/A

RE: X Box live

Cheers for that. Actually found the same thing on the live website myself.....took me a while to realise the x-box couldn't communicate with the router. Ditched it (+Net basically misold it to me and are taking it back) and bought a modem instead. Much simpler for numpties like me to use. Finally got everything working last night
Thanks for your help.
J


> Does you router need any ports opening up, has it any form of firewall. Have a look at http://www.xbox.com/uk/live/intro.htm they have a detail description on setup and a number of diagnostics you can read through.
>
> Here's an extract......
>
> Connect Status Error Message: DNS Not Resolved
>
> Details: Communication error
>
> The Xbox Live service cannot be contacted or is not responding. Please try again later or visit www.xbox.com/uk/live for more information.
>
> You may receive this error message for any of the following reasons:
>
> Something along the Internet path to the Xbox Live servers is down.
> The Xbox Live servers are down.
>
> You can check the status of the Xbox Live servers at http://www.xbox.com/support/servicestatus.htm.
>
> Your ISP is experiencing a network outage.
>
> Contact your ISP to determine whether they are experiencing network problems.
> Your router's built-in firewall is blocking the ports required for Xbox Live.
>
> A firewall is a security system that acts as a protective boundary between a network and the outside world by blocking network traffic on certain ports.
>
> Connect your Xbox console directly to your modem (bypassing the router) and test to see if the problem is resolved.
>
> If you are able to connect to the network when bypassing your router, you may need to configure your router to allow network communication on the specific ports required for Xbox Live. For Xbox Live to work correctly, the following ports need to be open:
>
> • UDP 88
> • UDP 3074
> • TCP 3074
>
> Consult your router documentation or router manufacturer for information about how to open the required ports. If you have leased your router from your ISP, contact your ISP for assistance.
> Details: DNS error
>
> The DNS servers could not be reached. Verify the DNS Server addresses match the settings provided by your ISP.
>
> This error message may indicate that there is a problem with your ISP's DNS servers.
>
> Connect your Xbox console directly to the modem (bypassing the router). If your ISP requires manual configuration of DNS information, configure the DNS server names in the Network Settings area of the Xbox Dashboard.
>
> If the problem is resolved, reconnect your router, change your DNS settings in the Network Settings area of the Xbox Dashboard back to Automatic, and then configure the DNS server names within the router itself. For information about how to configure connection settings on your router, refer to your router documentation.
>
> If you continue to receive the error message, contact your ISP for DNS server status information.
>
>
>
> > Nope read that that could cause problems so haven't had that done. Looked into it further and I think I need to reconfigure the router plus.net sold me..........or by a different one!
> > Thanks
> >
> >
> > > Is your box chiped?
> > > If it is you will get black listed from Xbox live.
> > > We are working on a fix and will post it soon.
> > >
> > > www.open-xbox.com
> > >
> > > Luca
> > >
> > >
> > > > Does anyone know exactly how to get X box live working? I'm connecting through a router and the x-box doesn't configure automatically. I've tehn tried entering everything manually but can't get it to work, it recognises the IP but then can't "resolve the DNS settings"........I've checked and double checked the server numbers but it still doesn't work. Thanks
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>