Did you mean: 

Would modem benifit speed over router

N/A

ADSL Link

Connection Speed......down 2272 kbps........up 288 kbps

Line Attenuation ..........down 26 db............... up 6 db

Noise Margin................down 22 db............... up 29 db

How do I find out this information when using a modem....results above taken from my netgear router...is it possible I might get a better connection from my modem over my router or would they be the same.

When I first played battlefield 2 I was using a modem which i had no lag, I stopped playing it for awhile and then purchased my router ever since i lag like mad.....any help would be great thanks Cheesy
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Routers are by far the best method for connecting to broadband as USB modems rely on power and drivers on your PC which in some configs is not stable/reliable. Also for low quality lines a USB modem can struggle.

Most modems don't show line stats but a few do so what USB modem do you have?

As for lag, then yes, some routers may add an additional 'hop' to the connection but they should not affect ping times unless they are either faulty or have a config error.
N/A

Hi i have a bt voyager 105

When playing BF2 I always have a really low ping quite often I get people asking me how comes it is so low...Behind the scenes im lagging like mad.

I only used the modem for a little while even on halo I used to get a really good connection but that too is now like bf2 lagtastic
thanks for swift reply
Community Veteran

That is one of the few that does show line stats:

For Voyager 105 line stats

Double click on DUN icon on taskbar, click on status, hold control down and press F1 at same time, hidden menus should come up.

Click on DSL Link and line stats will appear.
N/A

Thank you very much I will try that now. Cheesy
N/A

ADSL Link

Connection Speed......down 2272 kbps........up 288 kbps

Line Attenuation ..........down 19 db............... up 10 db

Noise Margin................down 29 db............... up 14 db

it worked these are my new results is this better or worse i know the line attenuation up stream is better what about the rest thanks again Cheesy
Community Veteran

That just shows you how unreliable line stats can be and how some manufactures show completely different stats than others on the same line.

Those stats show downstream has improved and upstream got worse.

Also in your other thread I think I said the 6dB upstream line attenuation was a problem. I was wrong and was confusing it with SNR. Actually 6dB is VERY good for line attenuation (the lower the better for line attenuation, the higher the better for SNR)
N/A

Ahh right actually im now not lagging but just loosing connection completely (from the game that is not sure if thats actually connection lose completely to everything)About every 15 mins I just get disconnected...

not sure if any of that made sense......lol do I use router and suffer lag or use modem and loose connection.well if I suffer lag I will still get stats on bf2 when I loose connection I will not.....is there anyway I can balance out my troubles

thanks for your help again...I notice your kept busy with lots of posts thanks for your replies Cheesy
N/A

For Voyager 105 line stats

Double click on DUN icon on taskbar, click on status, hold control down and press F1 at same time, hidden menus should come up.

Click on DSL Link and line stats will appear.

I recognise that post from somewhere! Wink

Smiley
skeggie

Yep - used that one to set the Tx Power to 10dB anbd low and behold my SNR (out in the sticks) went from about 6-7dB to about 12-15. Line drops now a thing of hte past :-)

Then again can't wait for my new router with modem to arrive ... Linksys WAG354G-UK