cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worth trying for 2MB?

N/A

Worth trying for 2MB?

Hey,

I'm about to change packages from the Broadband Preimer for £29.99 to the Broadband Preimer for £21.99, i've been informed that these are the same packages, but just cheaper. I just wondered, that as you're given the option during the regrade process, if it's worth paying £15 for Plusnet to attempt an upgrade to 2MB even though i'm not very hopeful of getting higher speeds than 1mb due to my line figures, however i'll post them here:

Downstream:
Line Attenuation: 49 db
Noise Margin: 19 to 22 db (changed in the few secs of viewing the stats)
Upstream:
Line Attenuation: 29 db
Noise Margin: 27 db

Worth paying £15 to see, or is it better value to just accept i'll stay with 1mb, and save myself £15?

[EDIT: My DSLAM *should* have been upgraded by now according to the plusnet checker: HR_DSL_102 Upgrades on this DSLAM will commence in May 2005 if thats any help]

Thanks all,
Brett
10 REPLIES
N/A

Worth trying for 2MB?

As far as I know if your line won't support it and your upgrade doesn't go through your regrade fee will be refunded. Perhaps one of the PN guys could confirm this but I'm 99% sure. If thats the case then you might as well give it a try. Your line attenuation figure is on the border line I think the maximum for 2Mb is 48db but there are a lot of people with 2Mb with worse stats than that.
Phantom_Flan_Fl
Grafter

Worth trying for 2MB?

If your line won't support 2Mb, there's a chance it'll support 1Mb, so you would still be better off.
N/A

Worth trying for 2MB?

Brettuk is already on 1Mb.

Still worth a go though, you do get the money back if it doesn't work. Wink
craigbrass
Grafter

Worth trying for 2MB?

Yep, its worth a go. I was told on the phone when I upgraded that it was up to me if I wanted to go 1mb or 2mb as my line was right on the borderline for 2mb. I must admit for the 1st month it was a bit dodgy but I never got around to looking into it (disconnections I am talking about and occassional slow dl speed) but it panned itself our after a month and I now have no problems. So my advice is if its dodgy, give it time to "settle in" as it were.
Alecto
Grafter

Worth trying for 2MB?

Your figures are exactly the same as mine, and I've got rock solid 2Mb.

The upper theoretical limit on attenuation is 43db for 2Mb, but it clearly works at a few db above that. Cheesy

And when I did a check on the BT site as to whether I could get broadband, it said definitely 512k, and possibly 1Mb with an engineer visit! Well I've seen no engineer either.
craigbrass
Grafter

Worth trying for 2MB?

I think "Engeneer Visit" can be in 2 forms, to your local exchange to do some work on your particular line or to your premesis, could of been just your exchange on this occassion. Correct me if I am wrong tho.
N/A

Worth trying for 2MB?

How do you guys do these tests?
cheers
N/A

Worth trying for 2MB?

Hi,

I tried after, and today i'm on 2mb!
Good speed :: 1871 kbps and seems reliable!

And to think that a year ago I couldn't get 1mb until they changed the limits.... so I was rather shocked to see:
DownStream Connection Speed 2272 kbps
In my router!

Did it all in a couple of days as well, very impressed, well done plusnet Cheesy

So it's worth trying anyway!
Thanks all for your help,
Brett
Community Veteran

Worth trying for 2MB?

I queryied my 1mb installation yesterday and was on 2.2mb today. Plusnet just keep getting better.

A
daviez
Grafter

Worth trying for 2MB?

I am on 1Mb right now, with woosh-confirmed levels of:

Downstream:
Line Attenuation: 46 db
Noise Margin: 28 db
Upstream:
Line Attenuation: 58 db
Noise Margin: 31 db

I have asked PlusNet to try for an upgrade to 2Mb, but it gets rejected by BT every time.

Can someone explain how my stats compare to brettuk ?

Many thanks.