cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worth Upgrading?

N/A

Worth Upgrading?

Folks
have the Broadband Home Lite 1Mb package that has for a long time has run at a steady 2Mb. Since Xmas speeds have varied and can drop as low as 56kb in the evening!! I'm advised that contention in the exchange is the problem. No-one can tell when that will be addressed.
Question: Is there a PNet product i can upgrade to and get decent speeds guaranteed without spending a fortune? Download < 4Gb/month.
If not only other option is Telewest I assume using Blueyonder.
BTW Notice PNet didn't pick up any awards Thursday night but continue to increase the one thing that matters to them most....profits.

TIA
Tom B
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Worth Upgrading?

Going as low as that shouldn't be contention. Have you done the BT Speedtest to ensure it isn't the Plusnet system.
Just a check are you talking actual speed checks or P2P.
N/A

Worth Upgrading?

Yes they are results using both BT and PNet's own tests and am told that because the speeds come back up after midnight then contention is the problem. Can't help wondering though if Pnet haven't got a finger in this particular pie.....Just achieved 123.2 kbps.
Strange how since broadband became popular(just after Xmas) that the suppliers can expect customers to stay up late to enjoy anything approaching a reasonable service. Maybe if enough people jump to another ISP then the speeds might come back up!

Tom B
shellsong
Grafter

Worth Upgrading?

If the BT Speedtest gives the same sort of figures then it's due to your local connection and is not PlusNet's doing although they are the only ones who can contact BTw to sort it out for you!

You need to contact PN and follow the test procedures they ask for so that they can get BTw to sort out the obvious contention problem you have.

Good luck, Gerry