cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wish to get something straight in my mind

N/A

I have a "Linksys WAG354G", and as anyone who has one knows there are 2 lights: one marked DSL, and one marked Internet.When my connection drops which is very infrequently the internet light goes out completely but the DSL stays lit.

Can someone tell what that is indicating please? if it is a problem between myself and the exchange, or between my computer and router, as I cannot work out what the DSL light is for...... my first thought was that was something to do with the connection with the exchange as I have noticed that the DSL light always remains steady but when sending or recieving information the internet light flickers:but I have a feeling that may be wrong and as the subject says I wish to get what is actually happening straight in my mind.

Also is one connection drop all that is needed for the "stable rate" to be lowered because I noticed that 24hrs after my last disconnection my stable rate dropped from 8128+ to 6500 and wondering if the two events are related.
6 REPLIES
Njal
Grafter

See:

http://www.virgin.net/customers/broadbandhelp/Installation/router/routerlights.html

It's for a different router, etc. but will probably give you the info you're looking for.

Regards

Neil
Community Veteran

The manual that came with the router should explain what the lights mean - it may be on the CD that came with it or you can download the pdf here.

POWER Green. The POWER LED lights up when the Gateway is powered on.

WIRELESS Green. The WIRELESS LED lights up whenever there is a successful wireless connection. If the LED is flashing, the Gateway is actively sending or receiving data to or from one of the devices on the network.

ETHERNET (1-4) Green. The ETHERNET LED serves two purposes. If the LED is continuously lit, the Gateway is successfully connected to a device through the LAN port. If the LED is flashing, it is an indication of any network activity.

DSL Green. The DSL LED lights up whenever there is a successful DSL connection. The LED blinks while the Gateway is establishing the ADSL connection.

INTERNET Green. The INTERNET LED lights up green when an Internet connection to the Internet Service Provider (ISP) is established. The INTERNET LED lights up red when the connection to the ISP fails.

So DSL green means synced to the exchange. INTERNET green means authenticated with the ISP.
N/A

So DSL green means synced to the exchange. INTERNET green means authenticated with the ISP.

Thanks Peter I was unable to find the manual unfortunatly...... Ah just noticed as it has happened while I type this:it is a between me and the exchange problem as the DSL light went out for a couple of seconds which of course would cause a loss of authentication with Plusnet I presume.But at least I know what is going on now :-)

Thanks folks
N/A

IMO the really wierd thing about it is that some routers appear to be able to lose sync and resync without dropping the PPP session to the ISP. Two Billion routers appear to do this.
craiglay
Grafter

I have found this too, although in another way.. I believe my Netgear DG834 is capable of this too.

My referal who I set up broadband completely from scratch was blessed with MaxDSL. For the first few days, disconnections were terrible, every 2-3 mins. What I did notice that when the supplied modem, a Voyager 105, lost sync, it took 2 reconnections to log back in. The first error was always PPP link was terminated. I have had my DG834 on their connection too.

In my view, this means that on loss of sync, +Nets servers (RADIUS i think that handle accounts and logins) do not know the customer has lost sync. Therefore, a new connection request fails and the server terminates the previous connection. When another new connection is requested, it rarely fails, allowing a new PPP session and connecting.

As a hardware router is more designed for broadband PPP connections than the Windows networking, perhaps it can resume the session when sync is lost. This is apparent in the Netgears logs.

Any networking buffs feel free to correct me here, I have a degree in Computer Systems Engineering and work as a network manager but don't deal with this kind of stuff normally.
N/A

Plusnet has been having problems with non-allocated IP addresses for some time but said about two weeks ago that they are totally satisfied that various script mods carried out by Tiscali had completely cured the problem. My Netgear DG834 still keeps losing the secondary sync however (and by the looks of it so do loads of others!) but never loses sync with the BT exchange. As usual, tickets pointing this out seem to go unanswered!