cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wiring

N/A

Wiring

Thinking about upgrading to ADSL. My phone cable has just 4 wires in it: blue, orange and blue/white, orange/white. Is this adequate, or do I need 6 - core cable? How critical is the wiring from the master socket to the wall socketthat I will use?
2 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Wiring

> Thinking about upgrading to ADSL. My phone cable has just 4 wires in it: blue, orange and blue/white, orange/white. Is this adequate, or do I need 6 - core cable? How critical is the wiring from the master socket to the wall socketthat I will use?

Mine only has 2 wires into the master socket.

I just wired in 2 wires from a cat 5 lead from the master socket to where my pc is and it works fine.

Bill
N/A

RE: Wiring

It's only the blue/white and white/blue cables that are important as far as the connection goes - the orange/white is purely there to act as a switching wire to make any extension sockets ring.

If you are purely looking to install an extension socket for your ADSL connection then you can avoid the need for the microfilters by installing a NTE5 style master socket as the first extension off the master socket and then adding one of the ADSL adapter plates. You then run any extension sockets of the NTE5 so they are pre-filtered.

All the bits you need for this can be purchased from www.clarity.it and they have a nice easy set of instructions on the site explaining what to do.

The best bit about this method is that you have all the benefits of dedicated ADSL connection without getting on the wrong side of BT as you haven't actually tampered with their master socket...all you've done is added an extension Smiley