cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wires r bad

jabb0
Grafter

Wires r bad

I am only too aware of tempromental a network can beome...
I have neverr used/setup a wireless network before.
Wireless networks are expensive, i therefore want to make sure my money is well spent.

Is there anything wierd or wonderfully different about the setup an running of a wireless network?
Is there a particular make anyone could recomend?
Is there a particular make anyone could recomend i avoid buying?
Is there anything will limit network traffic?
Is there anything else i should know about?

thanks for your time
16 REPLIES
N/A

Wires r bad

Is there anything wierd or wonderfully different about the setup an running of a wireless network?

Yes, you have to impliment a few security // encryption settings that you would not need over a wired LAN, Also there is a "range" problem, such as thick walls or interferance from other objects.

Is there a particular make anyone could recomend?

Linksys

Is there a particular make anyone could recomend i avoid buying?

Dlink

Is there anything will limit network traffic?

if by this you mean you want to limit the traffic then some routers will have this option, if you mean will any of the hardware slow it down, then yes as the fastest wireless (.g) is rated at 54mb/s rather than 100mb/s wich is the standard for wired networks. Also the wireless signal degrades over distance so you will never see these speeds.

Is there anything else i should know about?

Wireless is less secure than wired due to the fact that your data can be viewd by anyone, also your network may be used by others near you unless you set up the appropriate mac filltering (even this wont stop the dedicated hacker). Just be aware when you send that Credit Card number or that personal email that some one in your neighbourhood could be sniffing that data.

Hope some of that helped

Buz
N/A

Wires r bad

I have 1 machine in the house that uses a wireless connection and everytime i use the microwave it looses all signal due to the fact they are both using 2.4ghz frequency band. Whilst this may not happen in all setups (depending on where your router/access point is located) you might want to buy your hardware from somewhere that will let you return it if things don't work out.

Other than that i have had no real problems. It always a good idea to get the wireless card and wireless router/access point from the same manufacturer as they usually offer the best stability (and extra features such as higher burstable bandwidth).
BoneMan
Grafter

Wires r bad

Jabb0,
Not sure why you're thinking about wireless LANS but if it is just to avoid stringing CAT5 cables around the place, have you thought about "IP over the mains"? These http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware/reviews/2004/q4/devolo.asp seem pretty good (no personal experience Sad ). Sure, they won't let you sit out in the garden Wink but maybe you don't want to anyway. Please disregard if not what you're after.

Regards,

Ray.
jabb0
Grafter

Wires r bad

with regards to my neighbours viewing my personal info... i live in a rural village, sorry outside a rural village, an i aint seen any sheep hacking on a laptop recently (an i hope this never happens).

My reasons for going wireless is to negate the need for getting the drill out and making my way through 4 or 5 walls (and living in a renovated old (really old) country house (where all the walls used to be 4foot thick, right enough though there is only one such wal left, and u would probably need an oil rig to drill through it) as well as this my house is like semi detacthed, but only 1 house (nothing is ever simple for me, as his means there is even a wall between the 2 attics.

But after reading the above posts i dont think wireless is going to solve this...

I think that one of these PC's is gong to have to be standalone, i am not that hell bent on getting them all connected.

As for the laptop, i think a little bit of bluetooth would be the best bet for it... what do u's thinkHuh
N/A

Wires r bad

you could lay the wires under the carpet?
N/A

Recomendations

Avoid Inexq like the plague, I have a router that 'loses' its routing tables one a week on average, has mac filtering tables that are ignored and drops the peer wireless connection (to a inexq bridge) evey so often. I'm thinking of using it as a doorstop but I'm afraid the door would object.

Norfolk Schools all use Buffelo Airstations as standard, not the cheapest but once configured they stay connected with no loss of quality. Over 200 installed so far with no problems (yet).

PS: I have a 54g setup going through 3x2 foot thick walls without a problem, still get very strong signel despite living in a small country fortress like yourself.

Jay
N/A

Wires r bad

This has got me thinking about adding a wireless network.

Given that I also want to get a laptop, would the following sort of kit be ideal?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5744630499&fromMakeTrack=true

Furthermore, I know the limit on the wireless network is about 54mbps not 100, but does that mean that my main desktop currently plugged into a plusnet suplied binatone modem, will slow to 54 also, even when noone else is attached?

Many thanks.

Jules
madswitcher
Grafter

Wires r bad

You could also think about using Ethernet over the mains - I sure I saw something about this on one of the threads in the Computer Discussion forum.

Cheers, Mike
madswitcher
Grafter

Wires r bad

N/A

Wires r bad

Jules, the speed is just for that part of the network connection, it dosn't affect the speed of your machine or any other network connections you might have. Your ASDL modem will be working at its own speed anyway, and not more than your Plus net ASDL connection speed (512, 1mb or 2mb).

The SMC router your looking at will work ok, you might find you need a PCI/USB network adapter, (wireless) for the desktop unless you aleady have one or your planning on useing a wired connection for it. Laptops usually come with wireless built in, so you probably wont need that PCMCIA adapter.

Jay
N/A

Wires r bad

Thanks Jay.

I thought the SMC thing would replace the binatone adsl modem I have?
N/A

Wires r bad

Yep. The connection would be 100mbs Wired or 54mbs Wireless from the machines to the router and then 512 etc from the router to Plus net via its built in modem.

Jay
N/A

Wires r bad

Wireless just seams to be the IN thing atm, I myself bought some 108mbit WLAN cards router and AP set em up and about 20 mins later packed it all away and went back to wired. For me this was mainly down to the speed of network transfers as I copy an easy 30gig a day on my home lan and over wireless its like going from broadband back to dialup again (incidentally im running a gigabit wired lan before anyone says the difference isnt that big).

But if all you want is your internet access and so on then the bandwidth a wireless setup gives should be more than enough.
N/A

Wires r bad

Following on from that, for anyone that isn't already aware its worth noting that the total bandwidth of a wireless AP is spread across all clients. So if your 54g with two clients transferring large files at the same time they get 27 each max. Bit of a pain for group network installs.

Although wireless is no speed match for wired, for those (rare) sunny days, sitting outside in the garden with a cool beer, reading the news on the Laptop whilst irradiating your future children, nothing beats it Cheesy

Jay