cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless v wired and slow speeds.

Pheasantplucker
Grafter

Hi all, I'm sure i'm not the only one to ask these questions but please can someone give me some advice.
Have just moved house my exchange is around 2 miles away from me and i'm on BB max.
Initial checks tell me that I should be getting download speeds of around 2.5 to 3mbps. I'm actually getting between 0.5 and 1.
Line stats are: Line attenuation downstream 47db, upstream 13db.Noise margin upstream 4, down 21. I;m using a Netgear dg834 wired router. telephone line is a wired extention (From the BT box 1 of 2) in the house, along side the extention leads run radio speeker wires.
My real question i suppose is would it be better for to to buy a wireless router and plug it into the main BT box so that I can still use my desktop pc in my bedroom to avoid all the extention wiring?
If anyone can offer some help I would really appreciate it. Or should i just put of with 0.5 mbps as Plus Net can offer no help.
Thanks in advance
Richard ( going grey and pulling my hair out)
16 REPLIES
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

I would certainly advise moving your modem/router to the master socket and removing as much extension wiring as possible. The speaker wires could certainly be causing interference.

The stats you have supplied aren't showing the sync speed, does the equipment give this information?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
Pheasantplucker
Grafter

The router is showing a downstream speed of 2944kbps. Upstream 448kbps.
But Plus nets *high spped broadband tool" shows a speed of 500kbps.
This speed started out at over 4mbps when i moved into the property 1 month ago and just kept going downhill ever since.
Have checked the router stats regulally and even though I have lost sync a lot at the higher speeds i have never been disconnected. It just loses sync and then comes back.
Maybe I was just spoiled at my old address where my bb speed was 5.5 mbps.
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi,

I've just had a look down the previous speed changes on your account and it appears that the speed drops to 500 happen at around the same time on each occasion. 7am - 8am seems to be the most common time frame for this - this suggests that something is happening either in your premises or along the line at this time.
Does this timeframe coincide with anything occurring in your house or the local area?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
Pheasantplucker
Grafter

Maybe you have hit the nail on the head. That timeframe ties in with the time that i get up and turn the radio on. Remember the speaker wires run alongside one of the telephone extention leads.
If that is part of the problem, would you think that getting a wireless router and connecting it to the main bt box could be a good idea? Alternatively I suppose I could possibly try to re route the speaker wires.
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

A wireless router should solve this issue as obviously it will not require the extension. Re-routing the speaker cables will probably help too, it just depends on which is easier for you to do or more cost effective.
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
Pheasantplucker
Grafter

The only other things that happen about that time is people turning up at the industrial estate and starting work.
Also, over the past few days BT engineers have been working on the lines all around the estate and up the lane where i live
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Well that certainly makes it more unclear as to where the problem lies. TBH I'd think it is going to be the speaker wires or the industrial estate causing the drop in speed. Obviously you have more control over the speakers so I'd try resolving that first.
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
Pheasantplucker
Grafter

Thanks for the help Chris. Gonna get myself off to PC world and buy a Wireless router and move the damn speaker wires as well.
Hopefully that will make a difference. I'll post the results on here asap.
Thanks again
always hopeful......Richard
chrisc
Grafter

Hope it works out for you and resolves the issue.

Keep us posted.
Pheasantplucker
Grafter

Hi all. Just purchased and fitted a new Netgear dg834gt wireless router. Line stats are now as follows
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 1152 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 15.5 db 27.5 db
Noise Margin 9.3 db 17.0 db
Just by fitting the new router the attenuation upstream has dropped by two thirds.

Havn't got round to fitting the USB adapter yet so it's still wired.
Maybe with these stats by speed will increase over the next few days .
Still very hopefull
Richard
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

In case someone else doesn't jump in - you have a major problem if those stats are correct.
With an attenuation of 15.5dB you should be getting 8128kbps.
I would suggest that something isn't filtered.
Try connecting to the connection behind the lower half of the master socket.
Pheasantplucker
Grafter

I knew it was too good to be true.
Re booted the router and the stats are now.....

Connection Speed 1088 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 46.0 db 27.5 db
Noise Margin 8.6 db 17.0 db

Oh well, back to installing the wireless adapter, moving the router to the main BT box and disconnecting and moving the speaker wires......

Will tell all when it's done...

"sigh"
N/A

You need to be more scientific with your approach if you connect and look at your details line stats etc. Keep the page open and turn on the radio and see if it makes any difference. If it is that you should see any effects in less than 1 min.

Keep watching the stats and remove all phones, remove sky box, turn the tv off, try the microwave keep an note of all the effects if any this way you then have some evidence of what is effecting the connection and you should be able to repeat any step and see the same result.

Try removing all the phones before you turn the router on I often find doing that can make a big differance.
Pheasantplucker
Grafter

OK. I have disconnected everything in the house, except the belt that holds up my trousers!!
Waited 30 minutes or so and the router stats are now......

Connection Speed 1184 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 48.0 db 27.5 db
Noise Margin 9.7 db 17.0 db

Exactly the same
Tried connecting phone line to test socket. That made no difference either.
Now I AM at my wits end. This probably means that I'll have to just put up with under 500kbps for my connection. It seems no good will come of trying to telephone BT as they just are not interested. Plus net just email the same old reply, no help there either.

If ANYONE out there can come up with ANY more suggestions I will be so grateful.....
Meanwhile, i'll go take out my frustration by cutting the grass
Thanks in advance
Richard