Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless router speed puzzle!

Waggy
Dabbler

Hi all.

I recently opened a ticket because of what I thought were speed problems on my 2Mb connection. The PC which is hard wired to the router was downloading at between 300Kbps and 900Kbps depending on times etc. It is normally consistent at around 1900Kbps.
I closed the ticket when I got the trusty laptop out and connected that via its wireless connection through the router..........There it was a consistent 1900Kbps.
So.....

PC via ethernet to router 300 to 900 Kbps.
Laptop via wireless connection 1900Kbps.
These speeds are still consistent.

Clearly it's an issue between the network card and the router, but I cannot think of what to do. I've scoured the forums but I haven't seen a puzzle quite like this.

Anybody got any ideas? It would be most appreciated!

Thanks
5 REPLIES
Saturn
Grafter

It could be that you have a matching problem with your wired connection. If your router and PC are trying to operate at 100Mb/s and you do not use Cat 5 cable and connectors you will very easily get reflections down the line that screw up successful communication. If you are able to force the router or PC (more likely) to operate at 10Mb/s and you see an improvement that will be the reason.

As an example, I used to run my network at 10Mb/s and when I upgraded it to 100Mb/s I still had a flat cable (about 45 cms long and non Cat 5) between my PC and the socket on the wall. This completely screwed the connection up, caused loads of clashes and virtually no transfer capability. On changing it to a 3 metre Cat 5 cable completely cured the problem.

Maybe that's your problem and maybe not. It's worth taking a look though.
Waggy
Dabbler

I see what you mean. But I'm already using a cat 5 cable of less than 3 metres. I can't see how this cable or network card can change it's qualities in an instant.

It must be me doing some tinkering with something or another and changed something software wise. I've looked through everything that my limited knowledge will allow, tried diagnostic software, checked for anything that is ticked that shouldn't be in the networking options on XP.

Perhaps I'll nip out and get myself a new cable, then a new card. See if that helps.

In the meantime I'll try your suggestion and post back.

Many Thanks for the reply.
Saturn
Grafter

Another thought or two. You could try connecting the two PC together with cable via the router (if you can) and see if you get uninterrupted transfers. Alternatively it could be that your MTU/RWIN values are wrong on the wired PC . You can get details on how to adjust these settings at http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/tweak.htm and download an application for tweaking (Dr TCP), or you can take a look at http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12116&highlight=. Maybe try the tweaking first (little effort required). What router do you have?
Waggy
Dabbler

It ended up being my router. It was a Belkin F5D7630-4A. The LAN part of the router became the major headache. In the end it was downloading from the internet for a few pages then gave up.

I have a plugged in a brand spanking new Belkin F5D7633uk4A Which resolved all problems. Naturally though I had to retweak everything in order to get it back to a consistant 1900 Kbps.

Thanks again for your help on this.
Saturn
Grafter

Nice one, glad it's fixed.