cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless networking and DHCP

N/A

Hi
I am trying to install a wireless access point ( US Robotics 249 ) and need some help. My setup is a Solwise SAR110 ADSL router going into a Netgear EN104 hub. My PC is connected to the hub. This all works fine but I am confused now on how to configure the Wireless AP. It will connect to the hub and be used to allow a wireless enabled laptop to connect.
My problem is I guess I will need to enable DHCP somewhere ? The laptop is already using DHCP at my workplace. When I check my setup at home it seems my PC is using a static IP (as suggested by PlusNet) and the router has DHCP relay, server and client all disabled. NAT is enabled though.
Can anybody suggest what the correct settings are?
Many thanks
Westie ( a very newbie ) :?: :?:
2 REPLIES
N/A

Your setup sounds very similar to mine. I have a router (Netgear DG814) connected to a wireless access point (Ebuyer cheapy one). It took me a while to set up because I originally had DHCP enabled on both the router and AP so both devices were trying to assign each other IPs or something.
Turns out that the router should have DHCP active and the AP should have it disabled. The router will then assign IPs to all the devices connected through the AP as well as anywhere else.
N/A

Many thanks. I have assigned both the AP and the laptop's wireless lan static IP's and everything worked first time :lol: :lol:

I will now try and get DHCP runing on my router.

Thanks for your help

clipper