Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless network

N/A

Wireless network

Very much a newbie to this stuff so please have patience with me :lol:

Got my +net ADSL connection a year back and bought a USB modem at the time

Now want to build a wirelses network and have been reading up that the Linksys WRT54G is the router to use. Obviously my existing modem won't work with this. So to my questions:

1. On reading through posts on this board I see that the D-Link DSL300G gets a good write up - does this work well with the Linksys WRT54G. Any other suggestions

2. Is it not possible to get a combined modem/router and if so could anyone recommend one that can give me wireless and fixed.

TIA
[Moderator comment (Philip): phpBB code removed from topic. Trying to make topics bold doesn't get your post answered quicker, and would likely result in it being ignored for longer. Besides this, it doesn't work in topics]
3 REPLIES
N/A

Wireless network

I would recomend the SAR range.

Including the SAR 715PVW
N/A

Wireless network

Thanks Philip,

Do you have a view on whether I'd be better waiting for a 54g router/modem or do you believe that 802.11b is good enough. I'm really only networking for sharing the Internet connection, not for major file transfers.

If I settle for 802.11b is the SAR 715PVW suitable for a "rookie"? The comment "Like the previous SAR-715 this device is aimed at the 'techie' market, people who are happy to get their hands dirty and play around with things." from the link that you posted got this newbie a little nervous Shockedops:
N/A

Wireless network

If your only interest is sharing the internet connection, then 54g is overkill. You'll be fine with 802.11b, which will provide more than enough bandwidth to allow you to get the full speed for a 512 ADSL line. 54g is only of real use if you plan to shift large files over the network. And besides - in my opinion, 802.11b is much more stable at the mo.

If you're a newbie to networking (no shame in that), then you could probably do a lot worse than looking at the Netgear DG824M. Nice and easy to set up for non-techies, and comes with integrated DSL modem - which I think was what you were after?