cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless network

N/A

Wireless network

I'm trying to set up a wireless network. I've got a router and a wireless network card for my laptop and one for my PC. I now need a modem that will connect to the router through an Ethernet cable. Does anyone know where I can get one of these as I can only find modems that are either USB or PCI.

I'm using an Actiontec Wireless Cable/DSL router. Does anyone know what I will need for this and will it work as just the router and modem without a permanent connection to a PC?

Thanks for any help anyone can give with this.

Adam
4 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Wireless network

> I'm trying to set up a wireless network. I've got a router and a wireless network card for my laptop and one for my PC. I now need a modem that will connect to the router through an Ethernet cable. Does anyone know where I can get one of these as I can only find modems that are either USB or PCI.
>
> I'm using an Actiontec Wireless Cable/DSL router. Does anyone know what I will need for this and will it work as just the router and modem without a permanent connection to a PC?
>
> Thanks for any help anyone can give with this.
>
>
> Adam

ermm to my knowledge the router contains the modem

--
MICROSOFT = Most Intelligent Customers Realize Our Software Only Fools
Teenagers
N/A

>
> ermm to my knowledge the router contains the modem
>
>

The router I have needs to connect to a modem through an ethernet cable. I have been looking round and that seems to be the case with most broadband routers avaiable in shops. Maybe the router supplied by plus net in the router starter pack connects directly to the phone line. I probably should have got this in the first place but I didn't. Now I need something like this.

Cheers anyway.

Adam
N/A

I almost bought something like you did but thankfully was advised not to before I parted with cash. It's slightly misleading terminology. What you have is a DSL COMPATIBLE router, meaning it'll handle your traffic if you plug into a DSL connected device.

I would suggest speaking to Actiontec.

> >
> > ermm to my knowledge the router contains the modem
> >
> >
>
> The router I have needs to connect to a modem through an ethernet cable. I have been looking round and that seems to be the case with most broadband routers avaiable in shops. Maybe the router supplied by plus net in the router starter pack connects directly to the phone line. I probably should have got this in the first place but I didn't. Now I need something like this.
>
> Cheers anyway.
>
>
> Adam

--
Come on Boro!
www.waynessa.co.uk/boro.htm
N/A

Hi

I have a similar setup WLAN card on the laptop and one on the PC, also have 1 ethernet LAN card on my PC connected directly to an Alcatel Speedtouch Pro ethernet DSL router.

I have the router setup to pass all traffic to the ethernet card (this is a security risk as it renders NAT innefective so ensure you have a good software firewall on your PC).

This setup works great under Linux and Win2k.

Just some security issues with Internet Connection Sharing under windows you should be aware of, if you use Zonealarm Personal Firewall with ICS you will be visible on the net as it only marks your ports as being closed and not actually hidden/stealthed.
Ive just switched to Kerio Personal firewall which does a better job as it hides more ports but it isnt perfect either.
If you dont use ICS on either firewall you will be fine and completely hidden but it kind of defeats the whole point.
The paid for editions of the software may be better but i cant vouch for that maybe someone else can?

There are no problems that i have found under Linux, I use Mandrake 8.2 with iptables and Guarddog Firewall configurator and Guidedog for port/gateway forwarding.
Under Linux im completely stealthed another one in the eye for windows!! *grin*

But back to the router the Alcatel Speedtouch Pro works great for me never a problem and with ethernet direct to it, say goodbye to those VIA USB blues.

Cheers Ali