cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless network laptop Internet access

N/A

We've just set up a home wireless network (with invaluable help from this forum!). Most seems to be going swimmingly, but my work laptop, running Windows 2000 attaches to the network successfully, but each time I rejoin the home network it cannot access any Internet addresses either through Internet Explorer or to download email from any of my email hosts.

I can run RAdmin to remotely connect to my work network ok, so the ADSL is getting out/in.

I go into network properties and select another IP address for my computer and then it happily finds Internet addresses.

I've tried going into properties and going out again, but that doesn't work, I have to change that IP address. Nor does restarting router or wireless access point make any difference.

I attach to different wired (DHCP) networks at work with no problems.

Any ideas anyone?
2 REPLIES
N/A

You need to make sure that your IP addresses are server assigned dynamic on all pc's on the wireless network. That will sortb out any ip conflict.
Try disabling WEP encryption and putting in your specific MAC addresses instead. that worked forme.

I don't know how scure the network will be, but I am sure some forum Guru will let us know.

Hope this helps.

:lol:
Community Veteran

Try disabling WEP encryption and putting in your specific MAC addresses instead. that worked forme.

I don't know how scure the network will be, but I am sure some forum Guru will let us know.

That should be absolutely fine... seeing as you put your MAC address in, the network will only allow that device (and any others for which you enter the MAC address) to operate. FWIW, that's what I do as well. Smiley

Thomas