cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless network and ADSL

N/A

Wireless network and ADSL

Hi,

I've been on +net ADSL for some time now with a standalone PC and a DSL-200 modem.

I've just got a portable and would like to be able to network the two and share internet access between them. I was thinking the best solution might be a wireless switch/router. I'm happy with the desktop being hard wired, but I'd like to be able to 'roam' with the laptop (check email sitting in the garden with a beer, check share prices while I'm cleaning my teeth, and so on).

Has anyone done this, and can anyone recommend some products which work well?

Thanks,
Neil
2 REPLIES
brianhig

RE: Wireless network and ADSL

Hi Neil

I use a Netgear DG814 router with a 4 port 10/100 switch. Connected to one of the switch ports is a 3COM Access Point 2000 (about £120) and on my laptop I have 3COM wireless lan PC card with an X-Jack antenna (£60). Works a treat.

I can carry my laptop around and can surf the web. Works up to about 100 feet.

Wireles LAN is currently 11Mbps but since ADSL is only 512K on a good day (and it has been pretty steady in my area for the last week or two - touch wood) that's not really an issue. It is worth spending the extra £5 or so to get the PC Lan card with the X-Jack antenna as it is retractable and doesn't get in the way when you put your laptop back into its case for carrying around.

Hope this helps

Brian
N/A

RE: Wireless network and ADSL

Thanks Brian,

> I use a Netgear DG814 router with a 4 port 10/100 switch. Connected to one of the switch ports is a 3COM Access Point 2000 (about £120) and on my laptop I have 3COM wireless lan PC card with an X-Jack antenna (£60). Works a treat.

The setup sounds good, but I guess what I was really after was a modem, router, switch and wireless AP all in one box. I saw a Linksys wireless AP/DSL router w/switch for about £100 on Amazon, but this requires an existing modem. I assume my current USB only model won't be capable of supporting this?

I've decided to go for this anyway, so I may well copy your setup (the DG814 sounds good, looks it too).

Thanks for your advice, and the tip on the X-Jack.

Neil