cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless modem router - any recommendations?

N/A

I would like to get a wireless modem and router for my new broadband connection. I have a desktop PC running win98 and a laptop running win2000 and I really dont want any wires running from my phone line to the desktop PC. I would appreciate any recommendations from ADSL veterans as to the type of hardware I should be getting.
Thanks
Jansen
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Well, I use a combination of a Binatone ADSL2000 broadband router, connected to a Belkin 54g Internet Gateway Router - thing. The combination works really well!

Thomas
N/A

I use a netgear 54g wireless router which reaches a fair distance, you'll need one which can restrict connections to prevent anyone else from connecting to it.

mine wasn't to difficult to set up, though i did need the help of support at one point who were excelent Wink
N/A

Forgive my ignorance, but is it necessary for the wirelss modem to be wired to at least one computer. In other words can I have my wireless modem + router by the phone socket in one room and my computers in the other room without any physical link between them?
Thanks.
Jansen
N/A

Yes, you can have it this way.

However, during setup, you may requires either a standard ethernet connection or serial cable (depending on the setup you pick).

After this, you can usualy perform any further setup over the wireless link.
N/A

setup on the netgear wirless router was done entirely "over air" without the need for wires other than the one from the modem to the router Wink
Eserim
Rising Star

whilst I only found out you could setup the Netgear routher without having a fixed link (I bought a £10 network card from PC World before hand) it is advisable to use a fixed link when you upgrade the router firmware to the latest version.

In fact, reading posts on other sites it is essential as on the upgrade to the latest version someone reported that the wireless option defaults to OFF after the upgrade.

CHawke
N/A

Take a look here http://www.seg.co.uk/ at the Vigor range. I have the Vigor2600We which is excellent.

Ed.
N/A

Hello All, I've been looking down the wireless path myself. At the moment I have A desktop and a laptop. The desktop is plugged into the net using a USB adsl modem and the laptop is a standalone thingy.

I've seen this wireless adsl router at Novatech HERE which seems pretty cheap. Add to that a wireless card for the laptop HERE plus a PCI network card I could make a quite decent setup for under £100.

Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions on this setup ? it would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks

Downsy
N/A

Well, I went ahead and bought it. It works pretty good although it was a bit of a pain setting it up as the instructions didn't tell me much. But after a bit of a search on the net I worked out it was an AWR-8210 using connexant firmware, got the latest drivers etc and it was all tickety boo. Good price, pretty happy with it, still a bit unsure about it's security but it seems pretty safe.