Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless is faster!

custos
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Wireless is faster!

I have just set up a wireless network using a Netgear DG834G. Having just acquired a new laptop I am surprised to find that the download speed is MUCH higher with the wireless connected machine than my original desktop one connected via the Ethernet port. The laptop is a 1.6GHz Celeron with 1 GB of RAM running Vista Home Basic and the desktop is a 1.5GHz Sempron with 256 MB of RAM running WIN98SE. I had assumed that (within reason) the specification/OS of the PC would not have much effect on the broadband speed and in any case there should not be that much difference between the two systems surely? Am I wrong or is there some other factor I have missed?

Geoff
2 REPLIES
chrisc
Grafter

Wireless is faster!

This may be due to the MTU or RWIN settings oon your computer.

Have a look here or here for information on how to tweak these settings for faster performance.
N/A

Wireless is faster!

It depends how you checked the speed as all it measures is the speed at one point in time and 5 mins later it may not be the same.
It not 100% scientific but you need to do a speed test on one pc then another on the laptop straight away as condition will be much the same. You should do it with the other pc disconnected or it may be downloading updates.

Win98 would be less efficient networking than XP