cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless home network: A few questions..........

N/A

I got broadband a few months ago and decided upon a USB modem as I have a laptop. I am now re-organising my house and need to move the position of my laptop to another part of the home where there is no phone point. I would like to buy a kit of a wireless router and pcmcia card so I can use my laptop anywhere in the house. Is this possible? Does the wireless router just need power and a phone connection? If this is so, can anyone recommend a good piece of kit.
Many thanks,
Justin.
7 REPLIES
N/A

Yes, this should be possible and the router will probably only need a power and phone connection.
As for kit you will find offerings from many companies. As others round here may have noticed I always recommend Netgear products, but that is only because I have never tried any other companies Smiley The Netgear versions of the products you're after would be:
Wireless router: DG824M
PCMCIA card: MA401
N/A

Wireless

Perhaps cheaper to look through a copy of your local free newspaper and get somebody who will fit a phone extension for a fixed price. (Around here there are a few people who advertise 20 pound for any phone extension). Even better, dust off that cordless drill, load the staple gun and fit your own extension.
N/A

depends really. if you're planning to move abotu with the laptop a lot then wireless is the only practical option. personally I use a 20m cat5 cable but it's extremely impractical and somewhat of a hassle...
N/A

Network the house...

I took the plunge and networked every room of the house (and garage) except for the bathroom and the kitchen. It took a whole Saturday to do it, and ended up with sore knees in the process, but the job is done once and for all. So next to each mains socket is a 10/100 socket.

Since I mess around with different operating systems and the like, a hardwired network and a bog-standard network card is compatible with everything. Wireless cards unfortunately are not.

Like yourself, I use a long flying lead for laptop use when sat on the sofa!
hektorshouse
Grafter

Wireless

I went wireless with an Actiontec Modem/Router and a few Wireless Adaptors. After setting up the unit I have my laptop and other PC's networked and connected to the Internet. It's worth the pain and strain but it really comes down to personal choice.
Community Veteran

I've been wanting to network my house for a while now, but I'll probably never get round to it.

So next to each mains socket is a 10/100 socket.

You know you shouldn't really have them right next to each other, the requirement is 2ft distance for LAN and phone sockets in a home cos the power can arc across aparently. But if it works, it works Smiley

Chris
N/A

Mains sockets...

Yes, I know that mains and data should not be run in the same conduits, but placing a network outlet next to a mains socket (which is earthed anyway) is no big deal (especially since there's no big inductive loads like electric motors connected to each socket !!) Aesthetics of a house need to be considered too!

It's worth taking the plunge in networking the house. Once you get into it it's quite easy, but I suppose more pressing DIY tasks often take priority!! A great time to do it is when you're decorating.

Cheers!