cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless-g

RichardL
Grafter

Wireless-g

:?: :?: I have a Linksys Wireless G access point on my network, however because the walls in my home are 18inch solid stone the range is not great. The access point cannot be significantly moved because of the cables to it.
Has anyone any idea how to increase the range so that I can use my laptop further away?
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Wireless-g

You could just get a WiFi antenna... these are larger antennae that you plug in to your current WiFi device, and may result in an increased range and/or speed.

Thomas
N/A

Wireless-g

that raises another point. provided you don't mind a speed drop you could set the speed of the laptop's card to either 'auto' or to a lower value (perhaps down to 1 or 2 mbps).
that should significantly increase the range and it will still be faster than a standard ADSL connection Smiley

My wireless card claims:
100M @ 22Mbps
150M @ 11Mbps
250M @ 5.5Mbps
300M @ 2Mbps
350M @ 1Mbps
so the range can be more than tripled by reducing speed Smiley
RichardL
Grafter

Wireless-g

Thank you both.
Thomas. Where would I purchase these antennae or would the ' wire coat hanger' method work?
Andrew. Tried that. The default setting is 'auto' so the speed decreases automatically as you move further away to maintain signal strength
Community Veteran

Wireless-g

Check about a quarter of the way down this page. Smiley

Thomas
N/A

Wireless-g

Heres a couple of ideas

It may not be youre router that is lacking in punch it maybe ther laptop card does it have an internal or external antenna remember its Bi directional so even if you get a better antenna on the router the laptop may still not be able to access the router cleanly enough.

The best idea is to move the router to as close to the middle of the building (I know you said cable lengths prohibit) but its probally cheaper and easier to extend cables than fit antennas and fiddle about only to find its the location

Failing that fit another access point somewhere else in the building

I am Radio engineer and the two things that govern radio coverage are location location

Increasing the gain on the antenna may only make it worse by increasing the bit error rate due to multi path fading as the signals will get bounced around anyway more signal strength will make it worse

If all else fails Move house to something made of paper :lol: Like mine (they dont build houses like they used to)

Cheers
J