cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless Timeout

Grff
Grafter

Wireless Timeout

I had my line activated about two weeks ago, and since then have thought i had no problems.

I've got a DG834PN Wireless Modem Router & WPN111 USB Adapter and I've got a good solid connection whenever i'm using it.

However, it seems that if I leave the pc for a length of time (not sure how long it takes though) the connection times out. Which I then can't browse to any websites and I get the usual 'page not found' in my browser.

My router still says connected to plusnet, the wireless connection still says active and everything seems to check out, but I just can't seem to get anything. If I restart the PC it's fine again, or if I connect to the router using it's ip address to get the admin page it seems to work fine (although it takes a while to load the page).
Incidently, I can still access the router admin pages externally so the connection to the net seems to be fine.

I've re-installed the OS a few days ago (xp home) so it shouldn't be any problem with the OS itself hopefully.

Is there somesort of wireless timeout, or does anyone know what I can do to sort this pleae.

Cheers
5 REPLIES
holdtight
Grafter

Wireless Timeout

Hi

If you go into your routers setup page and look for two options usually under basic setup named

Connect on Demand: Max Idle Time
Keep Alive: Redial Period

make sure Keep Alive: Redial Period is selected and keep the default 30 seconds then save the setting you should find it cures your timeout problem
Grff
Grafter

Wireless Timeout

Thanks for that,

I've got "idle timeout" in the router set to 0 already.

Also, Isn't that for the router >> isp connection, and not for my wireless to the router connectionHuh

The router >> isp seems ok as I can remote in to the admin pages of the router pretty much anytime.

It seems to be the PC that is dropping the connecton to the router, It all works fine, but then after a while of inactivity I can't seem to get anything, Netgear connection status of the usb adapter is fine, signal strength ok, and as far as I can see, reports to be fine.
holdtight
Grafter

Wireless Timeout

Yes my apologies i should have read with more care Shockedops:

You could try going to device manager selecting properties for your wireless / network card and making sure "allow to turn off device to save power" is unticked if its applicable to your card / device

how far away is the pc from the router is the signal going through thick walls or a fair distance ie upstairs as ive seen this happen were an access point was needed between the pc and router to boost the signal especially in older properties with thick reinforced walls
Grff
Grafter

Wireless Timeout

it's going through one wall/ceiling. The router is next to the wall one room downstairs and the adapter is upstairs one room away, on opposite wall. (if that makes sense :lol: )

I've got a USB extension lead and the usb adapter is out in the open not behind the PC out of the way.

It's the Range Max router and adapter I'm using and typically get 70%+ signal strength so fairly certain it's not the range.

I'll check the usb settings, as it does sound like maybe that's the cause. Some sort of power management perhaps.

Cheers for the help, will let you know what happens.
Grff
Grafter

Wireless Timeout

to add to this strangeness.

My line dropped to speeds around 512k a week or so ago, and although it was slower, it seemed to work at any time.

I ran a line fault ticket to plusnet and they seem to have done something as i'm back to what appears to be a 3mb line, but after using my PC to play a game for a couple of hours last night, I tried to connect to the net and I couldn't get any web pages again.

I had an IP from my router, I could get the router admin pages ok, the router said I was connected to the ISP fine. I can connect to my router remotely via the net this morning and according to the logs i've been connected for 24 hours (since i last rebooted it).

I'm not sure if it's time of day related, or just after not using it for a while.

It seems like i have a choice of slow and working any time, or a bit quicker and working only occasionally.

Any ideas anyone?