cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless Networking

N/A

Wireless Networking

Im a bit of a wireless newbie at this so be gentle with me. Ive just got Adsl at home and want to share it around the various kids machines in the house. Currently got the horrible Binitone modem and want to go wireless. House contains 2 stand alone PC's and one laptop all running XP and all located upstairs (as is the phone point). Been looking at the Netgear DG834G, with the various wirless cards. As I said I am new to wireless (I have a wired network at work - where one machine connects to the adsl modem and the others feed through a network switch) My question is does the the DG834G just attach from the adsl splitter and then sit alone or does it have to be phyically connected to at least one machine and if this is the case does this machine have to be on before the other machines can access the DG834DG and thus the internet. In addition my three machines at work can all read each others hard drives (mapped) - does this happen automaticly with a wireless network - I dont want it to - I dont want the kids mucking up my work stuff on my machine ?

Thanks anyone
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Wireless Networking

You need at least 1 PC directly connected (via network card and cable) to the router in order to configure and update the firmware (firmware upgrades via wireless are not recommended by the manufacturer).

The DG834G is a stand alone unit which is always connected to the internet, regardless of any of your PCs being on. This means your PC does not need to be on for the router to work and thus remote systems to access the Internet at any time. It just connects to your BT socket via the ADSL filter/splitter and runs on it's own.

Any PC on the network (wired or wireless) could have access to any other PC's disk if it is configured to do so. All you need to do is not run file and print sharing on your PC to stop the others accessing it.

Cheers

Peter Cool
N/A

Wireless Networking

That is very helpfull - thank you very much for that info
Eserim
Rising Star

Wireless Networking

Of course you don't need to keep the PC attached to the router past the initial setup and after any firmware upgrades - and some people say you don't even need to attach it for these purposes (but it is very much reconmended) .

When I got my Netgear Wireless router (forget which model, at work so can't check) I bough a bog standard £10 network card as well (which is now in our work server providing internet connections for my entire organization!)

By default, if you want to actually see other drives (and you don't) you do need to do a bit of work - so in your case you are OK - but it is relatively easy to set up a single shared area, say for family photos, and only share that - it is all down to the permisions, and XP makes it easy(ish) to alter these.

Chris
N/A

Wireless Networking

Hi
Perhaps you could give me a few pointers on my wirelss network question

I've bought an Apple iBook which comes with an AirPort Card for wireless networking (802.11b standards) .

I'd like to network this with my Windows pc running XP Pro 2002, which has an ADSL PCI modem installed .
The Wi-Fi card I'm going to buy is: (ASUS WL-138G) which also supports (802.11b standards) for my ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe motherboard. OcUk suggest a different Wi-Fi card which seems to need an external modem plugged in to the Intel Gigabit LAN socket.

My question is will I be able to share my internet connection and files over the network with this configuration?

I'm tech savvy but a complete newbie to networking. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

You can email me directly at: info@coded.uk.com

Thank you Wink
Community Veteran

Wireless Networking

I'll repeat my PM reply to you here as you have posted your questions here as well (which I did not notice until after I replied via PM):.

What you are proposing will not work. This is because you cannot network 2 PCs with just WiFi cards on their own i.e. the ASUS card and the Airport card cannot talk directly to each other. A Wireless card must communicate with a router or Wireless access point.

To connect your PC and iBook together you need a wireless router.

So this now complicates things as you cannot really use a router and your PCI ADSL card together - you can but it is much too complex to explain how here and there is a much more simpler method but it will cost more....

What you will need is something like a Netgear DG834G which is an all in one ADSL modem/router/switch & wireless router - this supports 802.11b and 802.11g. You then connect your PC to it directly via an Ethernet card (if your PC does not already have an Ethernet port as standard) and Ethernet cable. You can then network your iBook via it's wireless card to the router and both PCs can then communicate with each other and with the ADSL connection.

An alternative router is the Linksys WAG54G and there are other similar speced models from D-link, Belkin etc.

I hope that makes sense

- Peter
N/A

Wireless Networking

Thanks for your spedy response petervaughan you've cleared up my confusion.

When I posted to your PM and checked my mail box it was in my out box and stayed there . I expected to see it in my sent box as I do in Outlook, so I posted it here incase it hadn't sent as I'm new to this forum and abit unsure how it usualy works.

Thanks again Wink
Community Veteran

Wireless Networking

A PM remains in your out box until the receiver reads (opens) it, at which point it goes to your sent box. That way you know it has actually been read.

While in your out box, the receiver can see your PM in their inbox, marked as being unread. This may be different to some other forums PM methods yiu are familiar with.
N/A

Wireless Networking

Hi
Would it work if I wanted to create Crossover network - two devices only with a crossover cable to save cash?

Community Veteran

Wireless Networking

Yes. Assuming the iBook can have an Ethernet cable connected - or you purchase the necessary NIC.

You would need to setup internet connection sharing (ICS) on the XP PC and associate with your gigabit Ethernet port on the mobo, and setup static IPs on both PC and iBook which would then allow the iBook to connect via your PC to the ADSL line, but it would mean your PC will always need to be on.
N/A

Wireless Networking

Hi petervaughan
could I go without using an Ethernet cable If i had a Wi-Fi card on my Win pc and using the Linksys WRT54G?

Community Veteran

Wireless Networking

Yes, but you still need to run ICS on the WinXP PC to enable your iBook to access the ADSL line.

However the cost of a new WiFi card & WRT54G is more than tha cost of the all in one WAP54G and it will be much easier to use and setup. I suggest you cost out all the different options available and go with the one you can afford.

If at all possible I would recommend you discard your PCI ADSL modem card and get an all in one router (WAG54G or DG834G) with ADSL modem and connect your PC to it and use the WiFi connection from your iBook. As I suggested in my first reply.

Note: some Wifi based routers require a direct Ethernet cable connection to update their firmware (It is not recommended to do a firmware upgrade via wireless) so at least one PC must have an Ethernet connection to it.
keithcalder
Grafter

Wireless Networking

I use a Negear WM602 with a Netgear WG602 and Netgear WG311 wireless card. All use 802.11g and I have to say its very fast when tranferring files between macines. DSL source are doing a bundle at the moment which includes a WG511 wireless card for the laptop for free. Here's the link : http://www.dslsource.co.uk/product_details.asp?idProduct=146 , I would add that I've bought from these folks and you get the goodies next day every time, oh and yes, the carriage is free too. Smiley
N/A

Connecting tow PC's using wi-fi

Just read petervaughan comments regarding connecting two PC's together. It is possible to connect two PC's directly without the need for an access point or router. wi-fi cards can operate in one of two modes, AccessPoint(the default) where the card will look for an access point as you describe or PeerToPeer where one computer will look for another wi-fi computer to connect to(similar to using a cross-over cable).

I have tested the PeerToPeer option for a friend using some netgear cards(802.11b) who didn't want to shell out the expense of having an access point. His main desktop is connected to his ADSL connection with ICS enabled and his laptop connects wireless to his desktop allowing him to access the internet.

This is a better solution if you already have two computers and don't want to spend £100 to £200 on an access point.

However, if you only have one computer, then an integrated access point/router/adls modem is the best bet.