cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wired Router + WiFi expansion (at later date)

N/A

Hi,

Just signed up to PlusNet 1mb Broadband (no hardware option).

Now looking to purchase a combined modem/router with 4 ports for hard wired ethernet connection (not wireless) BUT WITH the option to add Wifi expansion card to device for later use with laptop and PDA.

Anyone got any suggestions or preferences?.

Thanks.
5 REPLIES
N/A

I dont know of any were you can add wireless later. The price of netgear and other wireless routers are so low at the moment so you may as well buy it at the start.

There is only a few quid between a rj45 and a wireless one so there isnt much point in getting a rj45 if you will need wireless in the future
N/A

Hi,
Will go check the RJ45. Not come across this one. As mentioned the primary goal is being hardwired via the 4 port (saves me replacing PC network cards with wireless adapters for my 2 pc's) BUT also somehow it can have a wireless on board for connect other devices via Wifi. Some routers seem ALL wireless or NOT wireless but maybe one with the combination I need above. I do agree in 'might as well' buy it with the wifi onboard from onset; can get the laptop and ipaq cards later; good input; thanks..
Any advise out there?; appreciated
N/A

Some people this afternoon suggested look at Netgear, Linksys and Dlink for the above config i am after. Any suggestions ref this (price/performance etc).
Maybe some of you have had problems or its configured like a dream etc (particular combined modem/router etc)
N/A

RJ45 is the connection for ethernet cables. RJ45 is not the model number of a router.
So what mwright meant was that there is little price between hard wired routers and wireless routers..
Anyway, most wireless routers also have hard wire capabilities.

I use the Netgear DG834, the DG834G is the wireless version.
iPaqowner
Grafter

I have the Netgear DG824M combined ADSL Modem/Wireless Router which is nla but has been replaced with the DG834G available for around £105.
My DG824M did setup like a dream and has operated faultlessly since last September when I got broadband.
It has run 24hrs a day since then having only been switched off once, it has 4 Ethernet ports and wifi.

My two daughters access the net through it from their bedrooms upstairs using a couple of Netgear MA111 Wifi usb dongle's and I can access the net from around the house/garden with my HP iPaq with built-in wifi.
I can thoroughly recommend it.

John.