cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows XP and PPPoA

N/A

Windows XP and PPPoA

Has anyone come up with a solution for this? Compaq, Microsoft and Plusnet haven't.

I'm running Windows XP and have an Alcatel Speedtouch Home modem, ethernet version (not USB). When I set up a broadband connection in XP, it defaults to PPPoE which is not how DSL is delivered in Europe - it's delivered via PPPoA.

As a workaround, Plusnet recommended setting up a 'dial-up' connection rather than a 'broadband' one and define the dial-up number to be p0,38, but this appears to only works with USB modems.

I am able to ping and browse the modem so no problems there. Also, this modem works perfectly with my old Win98 system.

HELP.
--
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

RE: Windows XP and PPPoA

> Has anyone come up with a solution for this? Compaq, Microsoft and Plusnet haven't.
>
> I'm running Windows XP and have an Alcatel Speedtouch Home modem, ethernet version (not USB). When I set up a broadband connection in XP, it defaults to PPPoE which is not how DSL is delivered in Europe - it's delivered via PPPoA.
>
> As a workaround, Plusnet recommended setting up a 'dial-up' connection rather than a 'broadband' one and define the dial-up number to be p0,38, but this appears to only works with USB modems.
>
> I am able to ping and browse the modem so no problems there. Also, this modem works perfectly with my old Win98 system.
>
> HELP.
>
> --
>

Do the drivers have a WAN type? Clutching at straws as most PCI modem manuals say to install using the wrong driver. They should use WAN, maybe the same for that modem as well.

--
ADSL @ 288/576 Self Install
IRC.UTCHAT.COM
Usually in #utgames #UT2003chat
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
BoneMan
Grafter

> > Has anyone come up with a solution for this? Compaq, Microsoft and Plusnet haven't.
> >
> > I'm running Windows XP and have an Alcatel Speedtouch Home modem, ethernet version (not USB). When I set up a broadband connection in XP, it defaults to PPPoE which is not how DSL is delivered in Europe - it's delivered via PPPoA.
> >
Hi,
I'm probbly wrong here but if you *are* connecting via ethernet then XP doesn't need to know about your "modem". Isn't it just acting like a single port router (like an AMX CA61E)? Just tell XP to connect via your LAN and see what happens

Regards,

BoneMan
N/A

Boneman is correct all you need to do is set up your PC ethernet card, and effectively use the modem as a router, Now I use the Speedtouch Pro ethernet router which is just a little bit up from the Speedtouch Home and uses what is essentially the same hardware in fact their is a firmware upgrade available that will upgrade the Home to a Pro (you do this at your own risk tho)

The ip for the Speedtouch is usually 10.0.0.138

So your first PC ethernet card should have something like the following if you use static config.

IP = 10.0.0.1
Gateway = 10.0.0.138
DNS1 = 212.159.11.150
DNS2 = 212.159.13.150

As for router configuration, checkout the quicksetup guide for the Speedtouch Pro over at www.dslsource.co.uk, i suspect it may very similar setup for the Speedtouch Home.

Hope this helps

Ali

N/A

> > > Has anyone come up with a solution for this? Compaq, Microsoft and Plusnet haven't.
> > >
> > > I'm running Windows XP and have an Alcatel Speedtouch Home modem, ethernet version (not USB). When I set up a broadband connection in XP, it defaults to PPPoE which is not how DSL is delivered in Europe - it's delivered via PPPoA.
> > >
> Hi,
> I'm probbly wrong here but if you *are* connecting via ethernet then XP doesn't need to know about your "modem". Isn't it just acting like a single port router (like an AMX CA61E)? Just tell XP to connect via your LAN and see what happens
>
> Regards,
>
> BoneMan
>

Ive got a speedtouch 510 v4 and when you go into the settings for the modem(by connecting to it using the web browser), in the setup there is an option to select pppoe or pppoa.

Hope this helps,

Bill
N/A

Cool - thanks fellas. I followed Boneman's tip on the AMX and it led me to this link called 'Configuring your Alcatel Speedtouch for Win XP.' Will try it tonight when I get home...

http://www.dougsta.net/sth/xp.htm

> Hi,
> I'm probbly wrong here but if you *are* connecting via ethernet then XP doesn't need to know about your "modem". Isn't it just acting like a single port router (like an AMX CA61E)? Just tell XP to connect via your LAN and see what happens
>
> Regards,
>
> BoneMan
>

N/A

Guess what? The instructions on this website worked! The secret is to set up a VPN connection in XP with the modem as the gateway device......

Thanks again guys.

> Cool - thanks fellas. I followed Boneman's tip on the AMX and it led me to this link called 'Configuring your Alcatel Speedtouch for Win XP.' Will try it tonight when I get home...
>
> http://www.dougsta.net/sth/xp.htm
>
--
N/A

Little of topic but has anybody got the Speed Touch Pro (converted from Home) to allow tracer routes through it with a NAT setup ?