cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows ME

N/A

Windows ME

Hi

I've signed up for the 1mb service and my line is supposed to be activated tomorrow, Wednesday. The modem package arrived this morning (for which many thanks), but I am rather worried to see that if you are running Windows 98SE you may require the installation disks. I am on Windows ME and my computer came with pre-installed Windows, i.e. no disks.

On browsing through the the forum, I also saw a ref to Win ME being a backward step from 98SE... which set alarm bells ringing! Am I going to have major problems installing the software, or, even worse, doesn't it work at all with ME? As a non-techie type, I'm seriously concerned!!

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Regards - Sarnia
4 REPLIES
holdtight
Grafter

Windows ME

Hi Sarnia,
i do remember seeing the same written in the leaflet that comes with the
modem that plusnet supply which i was sent when i first started with adsl

i had three sytems running win 98, ME and XP and installed the drivers on all three without the systems asking for the windows cd so you may be ok

dont you have any disks at all? you should have had at least a recovery disk
in which case it will hold the system files you need anyway

and yes i would agree that win me is a backward step from 98 as far as
stability goes, i didnt get on with it at all and did what a lot of people did at the time and reverted back to 98se
N/A

Windows ME

Hi Bill

Thanks for the reply. I think I do have a recovery disk, but am wary of using it as I've already had the hard drive wiped once - long saga involving a row with the selling store, who shall remain nameless!

I have had a lot of problems with ME, regarding stability, which is another reason I hate having to fiddle with the computer<g>. I'd moved up from W95, so ME was an improvement at the time, though.

Fingers crossed!

Thanks again.

Regards - Sarnia
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Windows ME

The recovery disc is usually just a Norton Ghost image of your hard drive as supplied OEM so it won't help.
But you should have the necessary files already on your PC and ME will access them automatically.
N/A

Windows ME

Hi

"But you should have the necessary files already on your PC and ME will access them automatically."

That's reassuring, thanks!

Regards - Sarnai