cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 2000 and Voyager USB

N/A

Hi, I'm having some problems getting the BT Voyager 105 USB ADSL modem from the starter pack to work correctly with my Windows 2000 Computer.

I've tried installing the drivers both from the CD and the latest ones from the website. No dial up networking connection is created for the connection, like it was when I tried it on Windows 98. There is an "Error 623: No phone book entry for this connection" when you click the Connect button.

I tried creating a connection manually with the correct name but the USB modem is not on the modem list and I can't figure out how to fix this.

I've tried as Administrator and a User Account, have tried reinstalling countless times and always followed instructions about when to plug in/unplug the modem.

Would appreciate any help, thanks.

Matt
6 REPLIES
N/A

Connection problems replying on

Hi Matt,

This sounds like a case of windows 2000 NOT correctly detecting (enumerating) your BT Voyager 105 USB ADSL modem harware.

**Tip: check in win2k computer manager, device manager, that your modem does appear within the devices listed.

Next if it hasnt installed correctly then you should see imediately the yellow symbol next to the device which tells you it hasnt installed successfully at all (or NOT listed at all? at the very worst) However if it has installed correclty you should be able to click on the item within device manager listing, next right click with your mouse and do a properties of the device. It should say something like (device enabled) and this device is working correctly no conflicts etc.

**My gues is that this is either a plug & play win2K problem or a USB related problem? either way your modem (hardware is not being found or seen by windows).

**If the device isnt seen by windows then any dialup connection you make wont make any sense because it wont have any hardware to relate too.

**Once win2k successfully see's your BT Voyager 105 USB ADSL modem then you need to check the networking settings are correct to with the dialup (DUN) connection.

**So within the DUN check you have TCP/IP properties of (either fixed or dynamic IP assigned), networking protocol=TCP/IP, client for MS networks, file & print sharing=off, QOS Packet scheduler, and type of dialup server Im calling =PPP for windows 95/98/NT/win2k/XP internet.

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
Your Forum Your Voice,Get Involved!
N/A

Thanks for the reply

The modem does appear in Device Manager under Network Devices and it says it is working properly.

However when I tried to create a New Connection to use for the plus net connection (done automatically on win9Cool it checks Comm1, Comm2, Bluetooth and says no modem found and asks for new drivers for a non plug-and-play modem. It does not check USB.

Any ideas?
N/A

The root of the problem Ivan

Hi Matt,

Hello once again I think I have a grasp of whats going on here? I think the reason your machine/system ISNT finding your modem via USB is because you dont have the correct software (drivers) for the required USB host controller/s. Again if you look at your system and again look in the device manager tree you should have in the list of devices on your machine (below network devices) Universal Serial Bus Host Controllers (with a little + beside it) if you can click on this for me and have a look at what this contains?

1) OK on my system I have a DELL Precision workstation with winXP Pro, I use a D-Link ADSL USB Modem. Yes! (my device) and your modem should appear in device manager thats correct and fine. Ignore that for now.

2) But without the correct device drivers (software or files) for your machines host controllers your USB connections wont work correctly and I suspect this is where your problem lies. Yes! XP should have installed the correct files but if not or if the required files have become corrupt or damaged for whatever reason XP wont detect your modem via USB. This is clearly indicated by the fact that your system doesnt offer you a USB option when you try creating a new connection (its trying to offer you the next best option which of course you dont want). Because what you really want is USB but its not available at present in windows.

**Solution is that you need to find out what kind & make of USB host controllers your system is using and what drivers (files) your OS (windows) requires. It might be possible to run a repair on win2K or XP from the CD and if the USB host controller files are missing or corrupted the repair should successfully replace them with the correct fresh files.

**On my system the USB Host controllers are using (in XP) the following driver files (all found within windows\system32 folder)

a) c:\windows\system32\drivers\usbhub.sys
b) c:\windows\system32\drivers\usbport.sys
c) c:\windows\system32\drivers\usbuhci.sys
d) c:\windows\system32\drivers\usbui.dll

**In device manager under USB host controllers I have the following on my machine.
1) x1 Intel(r) 82801BA/BAM Uiniversal Host COntroller 2442 (driver)
2) x1 Intel(r) 82801BA/BAM Uiniversal Host COntroller 2444 (driver)
3) USB ATAPI Storage device (x1)
4) USB HUB x2 (nothing connected)

5) Finally whatever make of modem you have, your modem software should also install (or have already installed xxxxusb.sys (where xxx =name of modem) a USB driver into c:\windows\system32\drivers folder.

SUMMARY:- The problem here at its simplest level is the drivers (software) for your machines USB Host controllers and until the correct drivers for the host controllers is installed win2k wont detect your modem via USB. The DUN wont work either as result of the USB driver problem.

Ivan
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
N/A

The USB Host Controllers are:

USB 2.0 Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Roo Hub
VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller
VIA USB Host Controller
VIA USB Host Controller
VIA USB Host Controller
VIA USB Host Controller

The USB drivers seem to work correctly. The machine can tell when the modem is plugged in and my MP3 player, USB Drive, Mouse and Keyboard all work fine.

It just doesn't seem to recognise that there is a modem and won't check the USB ports when searching for one so there is no way to select it when trying to create a DUN for the connection.

It's so frustrating, it installed fine on windows 98, requiring a reboot then Finishing the installation once Windows started again. This step never happened in Windows 2000. The modem icon just appeared in the taskbar, did training and found the broadband connection, but clicking connect just gets an error.
N/A

Replying Ivan

Hello mdundy,

OK that is pretty strange then all I can think of (whats left to eliminate in terms of troubleshooting) is that you have a problem with the USB cable itself or the USB connectors (that is the cable between the modem & PC) and finally the only other thought is that you have some obcure hardware problem with the actual modem itself.

**Two things left you could try, 1) try borrowing or possibly even buy a new USB cable (modem to PC cable) and see if this cures the problem 2) can you borrow another USB modem off a friend or collegue to see if its just that modem. (and to confirm its NOT a windows MBoard problem).

Ivan
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
N/A

Hi,

Just to add. There used to be (couple of years ago iirc) an issue with via usb drivers and some usb modems.

Have you downloaded / installed all the latest (Hyperon 4-1) drivers for the the mobo. If you need them see this link.

Might be worth a try.