cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windown 98 first edition + ADSL

N/A

I want to connect to ADSL using Windows 98 first edition, do I need to download special software from Plusnet to allow me to do this or should WIndows 98 be able to handle it on it's own?

Loki
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

It would depend on the equipment you have, however generally most new equipment is fully backwards compatible with 98. Its usually NT4 and 95 that have problems.

Chris
Community Veteran

I dont think 98 first edition supports USB though, but it would work fine with a router or PCI card.
michaelscott
Grafter

I've used USB peripherals on Wim98FE... some USB hardware specifies a minimum of 98SE, but I don't know why.
ForeverArsenal
Grafter

Re: Windown 98 first edition + ADSL

I want to connect to ADSL using Windows 98 first edition, do I need to download special software from Plusnet to allow me to do this or should WIndows 98 be able to handle it on it's own?

Loki

Depends on what you will be using to connect with,usb modem I don't know.
I'm running win95 with Sar110 and works fine.So should pci modem,but Sar
would be better choice if not already commited.
baz
Community Veteran

I've used USB peripherals on Wim98FE... some USB hardware specifies a minimum of 98SE, but I don't know why.

I have come across some early versions of 98 that very definately do not support USB. Perhaps this changed with later issues.
This would account for hardware manufactures playing it safe and specifying 98se as the minimum requirement.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Microsoft first added USB functionality to Windows 95 B & C (see here for details). Due to limited availability of USB hardware in 1996 they created a "2nd generation driver" which wasn't added until Windows 98SE was released.

If memory serves me right, I'm sure NT4 was supposed to get USB support with Service Pack 7. As this was dropped it never happened.