cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WinXP Alcatel SpeedTouch modem connection problem

N/A

I've just had notification that my ADSL connection has been activated but I am unable to log on to the system.

The modem is an old BTOpenworld modem which I have acquired through a friend and if I use the dialer that comes with it I can attempt a log on but it's trying to connect to BTOpenworld an says that my log in is invalid for the domain.

I have tried to create a connection myself through XP but it is determined to make the connection PPPoE and not PPPoA and isn't giving me the choice to change it.

Has anyone else run into this problem and is there a solution other than buying a new modem / router?

I haven't installed any service packs on XP.

Cheers,
Andy.
8 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

You should be able to change the username without creating a new connection.

Open Internet Explorer, go to Tools -> Internet Options, click on the Connections tab, highlight the Alcatel connection and click Settings. At the bottom of the page enter the username as maywoodcottage@plusdsl.net and your password. Click OK and then OK again, close Internet Explorer and try the connection again.

If it doesn't work, you should be able to download the drivers from here. Unplug the modem, uninstall the existing driver then install the new version.
N/A

I've tried creating existing accounts and creating new accounts.

My modem seems to complain about there being no dial tone unless I am connected to the internet with a dial-up connection atw hich point the modem reckons it can connect.

It seems to be treating my ADSL connection as a dial-up.

I have tried 2 different versions of those drivers but none of them work, thye all crash out during the installation.

Any other ideas?
Community Veteran

My modem seems to complain about there being no dial tone unless I am connected to the internet with a dial-up connection atw hich point the modem reckons it can connect.

That's a known problem with that frog. Had endless issues with this when I had mine - on a router now because of it.

Do you know what chipset you use on your motherboard - or say what your mobo make/model is and I can check. If it uses a VIA chipset then there is a compatibility problem with the USB port and the modem. Basically it comes down to the current the modem pulls which on some frogs is more than the USB port can supply (500mA) and it shuts down. Try a different USB port.

Make sure you have everything wired up properly - see ADSL: Wiring and Filters. Also try it with no other phones connected.

It seems to be treating my ADSL connection as a dial-up.

That's exactly how it works, as far as the PC is concerned it IS a modem and initiates a dialup whenever it thinks the ADSL connection is down.
Community Veteran

Did you actually uninstall all the BTO software and modem drivers then installed just the modem drivers from the link given earlier by dtomlinson?
N/A

The motherboard is a Gigabyte 5AX which I believe is a VIA chipset board.

I have a AMD chipset machine (this one) which I will try and use this modem on.

My installation of XP is a tad more up-to-date too having had access to a broadband connection up until fairly recently.

The wiring is correct however, we double checked this.

Will let you know!

Any more ideas in the mean time would be appreciated!

Cheers,
Andy.
holdtight
Grafter

From your first post it reads as if you are trying to install the drivers from the bt openworld disk that came with the modem
this wont work as it installs bt`s own software and
dialler,
Dave has put a link in his post for drivers,
also you say you have no service packs installed ?
if this means you dont have SP1 you will need it as usb modems and some other devices
have problems without it.
N/A

Cheers for everyone's help and suggestions with this.

I managed to get it all working by installing the drivers off the web from Dave's link, editing the setup.ini file then installing the BT Dialler around it. That combined with some cunning wiring down in my kitchen and the lifting of floorboards I'm now online at a sweet smelling 512Kbps.

Once again, thanks everyone, the speed of reply posts was impressive and very much appreciated!

Happy Christmas!

Andy.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Glad to hear you're online, even if it wasn't the most straight forward way. Smiley

I'd recommend keeping a copy of the driver files somewhere safe and details on what you did in case you ever need to reinstall the modem.