cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Win98SE upgraded to WinXP+SP1=death to Conexant PCI ADSL

N/A

I have an ASUS A7N8X-E with 1gb ram, 5900XT Nvidia graphics and have upgraded a basic install of win 98se to win xp.
Nothing I can do will get a Conexant PCI ADSL card to work.
Tried the original card and a new zoom, no joy either way.
Can't get into the conexant control panel, a box comes up saying the installation is corrupt.
Anyone seen this before or have any bright ideas?
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Have you installed the XP version of the drivers? If not, I suggest you uninstall any drivers/software related to the device, unplug it from your PC and reboot. Then plug it back in and install the XP drivers and see if that works.

Also make sure you install the NVidia Nforce drivers tat came with the mobo. This often has special PCI drivers for the chipset so windows recognises all the devices properly.

Doing an ugrade from Win98 does not always work and I always recommend a fresh install rathr than an upgrade, then reinstall any software you need, including XP versions of them.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

If you used a 98se too XP upgrade CD and not a fresh install of XP then uninstall the modem completely and then reinstall its drivers.

NB that modems drivers where never good with XP, so you will have to try different versions to get it working.

find them Here

Also in XP its prone to issues depending on the PCI slot its in, the main slot Not to have it in is slot 1 i.e. the one nearest the AGP slot.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

I have loaded the n-force drivers OK and tried about five or six different drivers for the ADSL card with no success.
Suspiciously, the error message remains the same. (corrupt install)
The ADSL card is in PCI slot four.
I'm hetting very suspicious that your comments about the upgrade from 98se to winxp might well be on the nail. The upgrade was from a very basic install of win98 in order to preserve the partitioning on the drive as a fresh install of xp (as I recall) wipes all previous partitioning.
That, however is easy to resolve
By exclusion, I'll try a fresh install of xp over the weekend.
Thanks for the advice.
N/A

Hi,

I had exactly the same problem when i first got ADSL.

Bought the pci CARD from plusnet, installed it into my KT266a pro2 mobo running WinXP+SP1. Nothing I did would get it to work, changed slots, different drivers, different config for modem. Would get connected but would roandomly loose sync, stop or just lock the PC up. It turns out this modem has conflicts with nearly all AMD mobos AND Windows XP!!

Solution: Returned it to Plusnet, bought the SAR-110, never looked back!!! Plusnet now supply the SAR-130, but it is exaclty the same router.
N/A

Progress!

Fresh install of XP and the modem works, BUT now dropouts and reconnections are happening at random.

Sounds similar to your probs, japsayeknight and I suspect that I may try to get a better modem as the one I have is nearly 2 years old, hence it is one of the older ones supplied by Plusnet.

Also, trouble getting e-mail to work with XP, despite the same settings as 98SE.
Still have access with the old drive and working on it.

Thanks for the post
Community Veteran

If you do decide to get a new modem, go for an external ethernet connected one as you will have a lot less trouble and it should be more compatible as well (no messing with modem drivers). A nice cheap and recommended one is the origo ASR8000 which you can get from ebuyer for about £25.
N/A

Total agreement with peter.

I've now got a SAR-130 supplied by plusnet,

And a Origo ASR-8000 bought from ebuyer.co.uk for £22 + P&P

The SAR-130 has excellent security features

The Origo ASR-8000 is a fantastic cheap router, never locks up, just gets on with the work.

I also have the Asus mobo, everything runs fine.
N/A

If you do decide to get a new modem, go for an external ethernet connected one as you will have a lot less trouble and it should be more compatible as well (no messing with modem drivers). A nice cheap and recommended one is the origo ASR8000 which you can get from ebuyer for about £25.

I have the Origo ASR8400, which is a four port version of the one mentioned above and it works a treat. Costs £42 from ebuyer at the moment. It has a built in firewall as well although that does leave port 80 open but you can configure the routers software to spoof the address so you are completely hidden from the outside world.

I had to do a firmware upgrade to get this but it was easy.

I also use an ASUS A7N8X m/b and it works fine with it.

Dave
N/A

Spoof the address?
Can I ask what this feature does?

You can't spoof the address you use to connect to the internet.

Think of the internet as Royal Mail (yes, it's hard, but try at least). Each packet of data is an evelope with a to address, and a from address.

You send a letter to a website, asking for a page. Only if you spoof the from address, then it attempts to send the letter to the wrong place.

Thus, you can never spoof the address, if you want to get anything from the internet.