cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Win95 and Solwise SAR110 set up questions

N/A

Win95 and Solwise SAR110 set up questions

Hi all,

I've just got one of these routers and am having fun setting it up. Although I know a bit about networks and PCs, my router knowledge is very limited. I have a couple of questions which I hope someone might be able to answer:

In the various set up guides, it tells me my PC has to obtain the IP and DNS IP addresses automatically, yet in the router manual it says I have to set my PC to a fixed IP to access the configuration utility. How do you resolve these mutually incompatible requirements?

Under Win95, there is no option for obtaining the DNS Configuration IPs automatically - you can only enable or disable DNS. Do I have to enter a host/PC name, and then type in the PlusNet DNS IPs that were given to me?

Currently I am using dial up (Demon) - how do I get the PC to get its Internet connection from the router - do I use a gateway?

Sorry for all the questions - as I say, this is all new to me. There seems to be plenty of info around about setting up the router end, but nothing for the PC beyond the basic network connetion.

Thanks

Simon
--
The corn was orient and immortal wheat...
2 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Win95 and Solwise SAR110 set up questions

Most router have the dhcp utility in them so you can use tha if required.
You need to know the ip and subnet of the router. You then give your pc a ip in that range ie.
Router ip is 10.0.0.2 subnet 255.255.255.0

You would then give your pc an ip of 10.0.0.1 subnet 255.255.255.0.

On the pc you set the gateway to the routers ip ie 10.0.0.2 in the above. Set the dns on the pc I use a +net one and 194.119.131.66 so If one goes down I still get dns form another isp.

Tell explorer to never dial a connection or it will try dialing.

try this and it should all work

> Hi all,
>
> I've just got one of these routers and am having fun setting it up. Although I know a bit about networks and PCs, my router knowledge is very limited. I have a couple of questions which I hope someone might be able to answer:
>
> In the various set up guides, it tells me my PC has to obtain the IP and DNS IP addresses automatically, yet in the router manual it says I have to set my PC to a fixed IP to access the configuration utility. How do you resolve these mutually incompatible requirements?
>
> Under Win95, there is no option for obtaining the DNS Configuration IPs automatically - you can only enable or disable DNS. Do I have to enter a host/PC name, and then type in the PlusNet DNS IPs that were given to me?
>
> Currently I am using dial up (Demon) - how do I get the PC to get its Internet connection from the router - do I use a gateway?
>
> Sorry for all the questions - as I say, this is all new to me. There seems to be plenty of info around about setting up the router end, but nothing for the PC beyond the basic network connetion.
>
> Thanks
>
> Simon
>
> --
> The corn was orient and immortal wheat...

N/A

RE: Win95 and Solwise SAR110 set up questions

> Most router have the dhcp utility in them so you can use tha if required.
> You need to know the ip and subnet of the router. You then give your pc a ip in that range ie.
> Router ip is 10.0.0.2 subnet 255.255.255.0
>
> You would then give your pc an ip of 10.0.0.1 subnet 255.255.255.0.
>
> On the pc you set the gateway to the routers ip ie 10.0.0.2 in the above. Set the dns on the pc I use a +net one and 194.119.131.66 so If one goes down I still get dns form another isp.
>
> Tell explorer to never dial a connection or it will try dialing.
>
> try this and it should all work
>

Thanks, Jan Smiley

After you posted, I found a page on PlusNet dealing with this actual router:

http://portal.plus.net/supportpages.html?a=242

All going now - yipee!

Simon