cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Win XP ICS Prob

N/A

Win XP ICS Prob

Hi there,

We have just got our ADSL connection enabled and running, however we have a bit of an unusual problem.

Our two systems are networked and we have tried to set up ICS in Win XP.

The Gateway can access the internet normally with good upload and d/l speeds however the client can only access the Plus net portal and our website which is hosted by plusnet. No other websites can be accessed by this machine.

The network is running fine but the shared connection is useless.

What have we done wrong.

Any pointers.

Mark
9 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Win XP ICS Prob

> Hi there,
>
> We have just got our ADSL connection enabled and running, however we have a bit of an unusual problem.
>
> Our two systems are networked and we have tried to set up ICS in Win XP.
>
> The Gateway can access the internet normally with good upload and d/l speeds however the client can only access the Plus net portal and our website which is hosted by plusnet. No other websites can be accessed by this machine.
>
> The network is running fine but the shared connection is useless.
>
> What have we done wrong.
>
> Any pointers.
>
> Mark


By the sound of it, you need to set up a DNS server on your PC (found under tcp/ip settings) You should be able to find these settings on your connection info or somewhere around there.

Hope this helps,

Bill

I could be wrong though, try connecting to a site using the IP address instead of the domain name.
N/A

RE: Win XP ICS Prob

>

Thanks Bill,

DNS set up, IP addresses and gateway assigned.

Doesn't mattter how I try to reach a site URL or otherwise.. I still can't access most web sites.

This one has us stuck.

Mark
N/A

RE: Win XP ICS Prob

Mark,

Has your gateway PC got a static IP set up for the network adaptor that client connects to ?

Are you using a USB modem, PCI modem or Router ?

Is it a firewall issue ? (turn them all off until you get it working propperly) XP has some kind of firewall i think ?)

Bill
N/A

RE: Win XP ICS Prob

> Mark,
>
> Has your gateway PC got a static IP set up for the network adaptor that client connects to ?
>
> Are you using a USB modem, PCI modem or Router ?
>
> Is it a firewall issue ? (turn them all off until you get it working propperly) XP has some kind of firewall i think ?)
>
> Bill

Hi Bill,

Yes Gateway has static IP.

Modem is PCI and yes we thought about the poss of Firewall probs and disabled Zonealarm. The XP firewall (for what its worth) is also disabled.

The Client is accessing sites like AA.com, First Direct and the +net portal but others like bbc.co.uk
and others just wont open.

The little hair we have left is all but gone.

Mark
N/A

RE: Win XP ICS Prob

Mark,

Have you tried pinging bbc.co.uk from the client.


Has the client got XP or another OS on it ?


Bill

N/A

RE: Win XP ICS Prob

Hi again Bill,

Ping to BBC was good but others timed out.

Both systems have XP. They are actually identical systems in everyway except for the gateway which has the adsl modem.

Thanks for your interest.

Mark
N/A

RE: Win XP ICS Prob

Mark,

Can you ping sites but not connect to them ?


Try adding some more DNS servers - try adding a few such as

131.128.1.127
131.128.1.1

66.117.136.6
66.117.151.5


These are a few i had written down that seemed to work.
N/A

RE: Win XP ICS Prob

Its all to do with how the host computer is set up

try this web site and follow the walkthrough for winxp ICS

I run it but find its prone to falling over so a better solution is winroute if you really want to go down the ICS route

www.practicallynetworked.com

Failing all that splash out on a router

Cheers
Jim

N/A

RE: Win XP ICS Prob

> Its all to do with how the host computer is set up
>
> try this web site and follow the walkthrough for winxp ICS
>
> I run it but find its prone to falling over so a better solution is winroute if you really want to go down the ICS route
>
> www.practicallynetworked.com
>
> Failing all that splash out on a router
>
> Cheers
> Jim
>
>

Thanks guys,

Not at those systems now. Am at home at last. I'll try those pings in the morning tho Bill and write back the results.

There might be some merit in the router bit Jim. I think it would resolve my probs. So much for the cheapo option.

Thanks again for all the help.

Mark