cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Win 98SE Networking

Garry
Dabbler

Win 98SE Networking

I have two PC's ruuning Win98SE both connected to a DLink 504 (4 port Router & Modem). Both machines communicate with the Internet.

Does anybody know how to network the two PC's together - Server/Client?

Many Thanks

Garry
6 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Win 98SE Networking

You dont give details of your ip's

But if they are both going out on the net they should see each other. You must enable file and print sharing in the network properties and you must share a folder or drive as well it should then work.

Both must have an ip and subnet in the same range ie 10.0.0.1 subnet 255.255.255.0 and the second one would have 10.0.0.2 subnet 255.255.255.0 and the router would be in the same range ie 10.0.0.3

Change this for the ip you have as long as they are in the same range and its a none internet adresss they should work.

If you cant see them add netbui as a protocol(its not very good but it easey to set up)

Both should have the same workgoup name
> I have two PC's ruuning Win98SE both connected to a DLink 504 (4 port Router & Modem). Both machines communicate with the Internet.
>
> Does anybody know how to network the two PC's together - Server/Client?
>
> Many Thanks
>
> Garry

Garry
Dabbler

Thanks

It was the enable file and print sharing in the network properties that I hadn't selected - just got to now work out Zone Alarm as when this active it prevents them networking.

Guess its time to RTFM

Many Thanks

Garry

> You dont give details of your ip's
>
> But if they are both going out on the net they should see each other. You must enable file and print sharing in the network properties and you must share a folder or drive as well it should then work.
>
> Both must have an ip and subnet in the same range ie 10.0.0.1 subnet 255.255.255.0 and the second one would have 10.0.0.2 subnet 255.255.255.0 and the router would be in the same range ie 10.0.0.3
>
> Change this for the ip you have as long as they are in the same range and its a none internet adresss they should work.
>
> If you cant see them add netbui as a protocol(its not very good but it easey to set up)
>
> Both should have the same workgoup name
> > I have two PC's ruuning Win98SE both connected to a DLink 504 (4 port Router & Modem). Both machines communicate with the Internet.
> >
> > Does anybody know how to network the two PC's together - Server/Client?
> >
> > Many Thanks
> >
> > Garry
>
>

Garry
Dabbler

> Thanks
>
> It was the enable file and print sharing in the network properties that I hadn't selected - just got to now work out Zone Alarm as when this active it prevents them networking.
>
> Guess its time to RTFM

Go to Zone alarm and look in Firewall/ZONES & select Add IP address. Add your IP addresses of the other machines.
>
> Many Thanks
>
> Garry
>
> > You dont give details of your ip's
> >
> > But if they are both going out on the net they should see each other. You must enable file and print sharing in the network properties and you must share a folder or drive as well it should then work.
> >
> > Both must have an ip and subnet in the same range ie 10.0.0.1 subnet 255.255.255.0 and the second one would have 10.0.0.2 subnet 255.255.255.0 and the router would be in the same range ie 10.0.0.3
> >
> > Change this for the ip you have as long as they are in the same range and its a none internet adresss they should work.
> >
> > If you cant see them add netbui as a protocol(its not very good but it easey to set up)
> >
> > Both should have the same workgoup name
> > > I have two PC's ruuning Win98SE both connected to a DLink 504 (4 port Router & Modem). Both machines communicate with the Internet.
> > >
> > > Does anybody know how to network the two PC's together - Server/Client?
> > >
> > > Many Thanks
> > >
> > > Garry
> >
> >
>
>

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

> I have two PC's ruuning Win98SE both connected to a DLink 504 (4 port Router & Modem). Both machines communicate with the Internet.
>
> Does anybody know how to network the two PC's together - Server/Client?
>
> Many Thanks
>
> Garry

have a lookie at http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/
--
ADSL @ 288/576 Self Install
IRC.UTCHAT.COM
Usually in #utgames #UT2003chat
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

If you go to my earlier posting there is some advice that might help. I had problems networking WIN98se and XP Pro This procedure cured all problems including Zone Alarm!!! Good luck

What I did>> On Win98SE
1. Using ControlPanel>Networks add File and printer sharing and Client add Microsoft network
2. Select your NIC card on TCP/IP Then>Properties>IP address. Ck the box "specify an IP address" Type in 192.168.0.3 (or the number of your computer.It may be 0.2) and 255.255.255.0 for subnet mask.
3. Select gateway and type in 192.168.0.1. (This is the main port for adsl 504) and press ADD. numbers will move to lower window.
4.Select WINS and ck Disable Wins resolution.
5.select DNS Config Ck enable and add your DNS Servers numbers That are obtained from your ISP. If you dont know them go to Programs>MSDOS prompt. At prompt type "winipcfg /all" dont use parenthesis and dont forget the space after winipcfg. The dialogue box will show your DNS server .Take note of the number then select the ellipse at side of number for the second DNS server. exit out of DOS prompt.
6. (Still in Network>properties>TCP/IP your netNIC card) Select Advanced tab and ck Set this protocol as default.
7. Select Bindings tab Ck client and File and print sharing.
8. Select Access tab Ck Share level access.
9.VERY IMPORTANT. Select ID tab Use existing computer name. (It will come up automatically), or change to your own name. Then in Workgroups. Change MSHOME to Workgroup. THIS IS A MUST. select description and enter whatever you like e.g. bedroom.
10. select OK and OK again to get you back to the desktop. You will get a message to reboot. Go ahead.

On XP machine select same tabs on network and make the same changes.Except that your computer IP setting will be different e.g 192.168.0.2

Back to Win 98se
11. Select Network Neighbourhood and wait, and wait Have a cup of tea. for 5-15 mins.
12. Zone Alarm will ask for access say yes and tick always remember box
13 Go to Zone alarm and look in ZONES. select your IP addresses that may have been "blocked" click on them and change to trusted. Do the same on the XP machine.
14. Reboot
15. Select files or drives that you want to share and right click select share.
16. Happy networking!!!!!
17. Remember when you load Network Neighbourhood it takes a while to load on Win98se.

N/A

Earlier posting on 18/12/02.
Also It might be a good idea before you start to clear all etork properties boxes. i.e cp>network>configuration. Clearing the boxes wont do any damage as you will reload TCP/ip etc during procedure and reboot.