cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will my Modem affect my download speed?

esseff
Grafter

We use a Safecom 4130 single port ethernet modem that we've had for a couple of years. We're just starting maxdsl and currently get 2mb. Is there any reason to believe that this modem isn't capable of working at the higher 'up to 8mb' speeds if available? I've noticed that some of the modems you can buy now clearly state they do. Is this just sales talk and all ethernet modems will do the job or should I be upgrading?
7 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

They nearly all do. See how it goes.

But, if you don't actually sync at 8Mb, you might find the Netgear 834 , being more sensitive, gives you a higher speed on the same line.
I had a safecom which was fine, and synced at 4Mb, but switched to the Netgear after nagging on the forum, and now sync at 6Mb.
N/A

In fairness though, I have had Netgear DG834G (and now a sporty GT model Wink ) for some time now.
My old (3yrs) Binatone ADSL 500 USB modem, which I kept partly for backup, but mainly for nostalgia manages to maintain a high speed connection just as well.
In some cases higher (although its hard to tell, since I can only test one at a time, and you never know what else could be slowing/speeding up your connection externally)

Don't necessarily rush out any upgrade for the sake of it, but bear in mind it 'could' show you some improvement.
N/A

BT Voyager 205

I'm using the bundled BT Voyager 205 model from last year.

Can anyone let me know the fastest connection speed they have achieved on this model as I'm trying to rule it out as a source of problems. If anyone has managed over 2Mbps I'd especially like to know - cheers.
N/A

Re: BT Voyager 205

Can anyone let me know the fastest connection speed they have achieved on this model as I'm trying to rule it out as a source of problems. If anyone has managed over 2Mbps I'd especially like to know - cheers.

My brother has the same modem and when he got maxed he put a ticket in about lows speeds and could not connect after that as plus net put his speed up and the modem just couldn't handle it.
N/A

Voyager 205

Interesting information - thanks. It's really difficult to know exactly what might be causing low speeds but I'm looking for a pattern if there is one.
Ziggur
Grafter

Re: BT Voyager 205

Can anyone let me know the fastest connection speed they have achieved on this model

Using this model as a router I am normally getting around 5mb on DSLMax

Mike
N/A

Hi,

Thanks - so good speeds are possible then.