cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will an Alternative Network Supplier affect me

bonnyriggbill

PlusNet have informed me that my PAYG account will be changed over to an Alternative Network Supplier some time soon and my world is about to be enhanced by great advances in speed and reliability. A consequence of this is that my phone line will interupted for an hour or two while this goes on. The email also says I will still pay BT for my line rental etc. What is important to me is that although I pay BT for the line rental I use alternative bypass numbers ( Call 18866 ) for 99.5% of my calls. Can I continue in this manner ? If not then it's bye bye Plusnet.
Could not find a category in the " ticket procedure" for questions like this and so I thought someone might know the answer.
Alan
5 REPLIES
N/A

Yep - the changeover will not affect you in that manner at all. You will still be able to dial through your other providers.
chymorva
Grafter

Hi Bonnyrigg,

Firstly, Welcome to the Forums. Smiley

From your house to the local exchange you have your telephone line. Both voice and ADSL are carried on this cable (which is why you need a filter/splitter at your end). At the exchange the signal is also split into voice and ADSL. The ADSL signal presently goes through BTw equipment to get to PlusNet. It is this equipment which is being replaced by an 'Alternative Network Supplier', and is what they are referring to in the email. The voice side is unmodified and so will not affect your numbers.

Hope this helps.
shellsong
Grafter

The one thing that can cause problems is that you may find it difficult to transfer to another provider after being transferred to the LLU provider from the present BT provision.

This is because the ADSL part of your connection gets transferred to a non BT piece of equipment in the exchange and BT and the relevent ISPs haven't yet worked out a proper equivalent of the MAC for migrating to another ISP in these circumstances

Supposedly efforts are being made to iron out these migration difficulties within the next 2 or 3 months
N/A

Re: Will an Alternative Network Supplier affect me

A consequence of this is that my phone line will interupted for an hour or two while this goes on.

If only! If you read-up around here, you'll soom realise that some "a few" of us have had ten days worth of torture ...frequent disconnections with - sometimes - the inability to re-connect for hours. Evil
shellsong
Grafter

Something very odd is going on with posting today! That's another post of mine that seems to be out of position!