cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will I have to buy new modem (Max DSL)

N/A

If anyone is upgrading their modem, aim to get an ethernet one.
usb causes a whole host of unnessary problems with disconnections, and the chances of having a linux driver are slim, if you should ever decide to make the switch to linux.
If anyone can point me to a binatone adsl 500driver that will work with Fedora core 3, i would appreciate it.
9 REPLIES
N/A

No this is not a dig at plusnet, I can wait, I have the patience of an elephant Tongue .

I had my current modem free when I signed up, its a Binatone ADSL 500.

When/If I get upgraded, will I need to buy a new modem to cope with higher speeds please?

Currently on 512/256.
Community Veteran

The Binatone ADSL500 is rated at 8Mb download and 1Mb up so you should not require a new modem.

Chilly
N/A

Be a good idea if plus posted what modems would be ok I have a 3Com OfficeConnect and I don't know if that would be ok looked through the manuel can't find any thing
N/A

most dsl modems will rate up to 8mb, even the original little green cowpat shaped ones when dsl 512 came out, they can carry up to 8mb download speed and AFAIK 1mb upload! so most if not all should be ok, it might be worth checking the manufacturer's site out to make sure tho!
N/A

Hi thanks for that buddy well this is brand new only got it a couple of weeks ago never thought about the upgrade I'll check it out thanks for getting back
N/A

Thanks for the replies, Jobs a good un then Smiley
N/A

RE: modem being future proof

Nice post djtoastie I also have the Binatone ADSL 500 and actually e-mailed Binatone yesterday they replied within 10 minutes :shock: with this information:

1) Check your serial
2) Is it A or BB (found at bottom of modem)?
3) If revision is A then you can get upto 6mb
4) If Revision BB you get upto 8mb

I get 8mb because I have BB and most PlusNet who have EasyStart have the later revision as well.

Hope that comprehensively clears it up Smiley
Community Veteran

Interesting mine is an “A” prefix serial number but the box states 8Mb downstream. (always keep the box it adds £££ on ebay.)

Never mind, I am using a router anyway, and my Binatone ADSL500 is on loan to a friend until their router is delivered.

Chilly
holdtight
Grafter

I think most of the ADSL modems state they will go up to 8mb down
it will be interesting to see which ones do and which ones fall over