cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why won't they listen?

Karmik
Grafter

Why won't they listen?

I've just moved house, and where I was I could only connect at 1 meg. Now I've moved I should get 2 meg. The BT checker says i'm good for 2 meg, and here are my stats:

Downstream Rate: 1152 Kbps
Upstream Rate: 288 Kbps
Downstream Margin: 31 db
Upstream Margin: 30 db
Downstream Line Attenuation: 25
Upstream Line Attenuation: 12

These are good figures, no? I'm probably less than 1k from the exchange too.

So why will they not regrade me to 2 meg? Why do they ignore tickets?

And this takes the biscuit:

2006-04-03
21:17:49

CSC Agent Actioned : Dear Mr nixon,
The speed of your line is depenant on the quality of the line. We always provide customers on the fastest speed their line will support. Just because your old could handle 2Mb does not garantee your new line will. Hopefully when The new 4/8meg products are launch they will be able to give you a better speed as these work differently to the current system.

Regards

I WASN'T ON 2 MEG ON MY OLD LINE, WILL YOU LISTEN TO ME!

Can somebody help me here?

/edit: In fact, I just checked my number at BT again, and they now say:

Our initial test on your line indicates that you should be able to have BT Broadband with download speeds up to 5Mb.

Just gimme 2 meg, it's not like i'm not paying for it.

Sigh.
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Why won't they listen?

2 things here.

1) It is possible the BT database stated you could only get 1Mbs and BT tend to take this as a fact rather than the unreliable figure many have proven it to be. My BT entry said I could only get 512Kbs but I'm running fine at 1Mbs, bu it took quite a battle with CS to get them to a) perform a woosh test and b) convince BT to accept the order for 1Mbs.

2) The new database shows the figure for MaxDSL if your exchange is enabled. and this is the info you have posted. What does the first paragraph say your line should support as this is the original info the database has always had.

FYI the database for my line still states the max I will get in the first paragraph (under the old BT line rules) is 500Kbs and the maximum under Maxdsl is also 512Kbs and both are wrong.
Karmik
Grafter

Why won't they listen?

Hi Peter,

My original BT test says:

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a line rate up to 2Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line should be able to support a potential ADSL Max broadband line rate of 5Mbps up to 8Mbps.
Karmik
Grafter

Why won't they listen?

Well, truthful answer of PN is that they are to busy to have my line upgraded, despite saying that the stats look good enough for 2 meg.

Actioned : Dear Mr nixon,
Your woosh results are as follows.

xDSL Status Check Analysis
OK.

Circuit Information
Circuit In Sync
NTE In Service
NTE Power On
Bypass Not Activated
MUX In Service
Upstream xDSL Link Info
Loop Loss 12.5 dB
Margin 30 dB
Errored Seconds 0
HEC Errors 0
Cell Count 3532561
Speed 288 k
Downstream xDSL Link Info
Loop Loss 26 dB
Margin 31 dB
Errored Seconds 0
HEC Errors 0
Cell Count 14218630
Speed 1152 k

These do indicate that your line should take a 2mb connection. Unfortunatly we are unable to process this speed upgrade through BT as we are in the process of updating all customers speeds to the new max, upto 4 & upto 8mb accounts.

This order will be passed to BT on your billing date but we do not have any information on when this will be actioned on each line.

I am sorry that we cannnot resolve this issue at this time but as soon we do have any indication of when your line will be upgraded we will pass this on to you.

This means that they are not giving me what I'm paying for, and what is advertised on there site.

* Broadband Premier comes at the fastest speed possible, up to 8Mb. If 8Mb is not available to you, we will provide you with the fastest possible speed.

Surely this is a legal obligation?

I wish I could just leave, but they have my deferred house move fee, and deferred activation fee, that they say that will not waive?? Surely I have a good case for legal action here?
N/A

Why won't they listen?

I moved from Bulldog with a 3 3/4 mb conection to plusnet now all I get is 1 mb some house so phone line is the same, I think its a case of BT not wanting pepols to get the full speed as more would then move away from BT.