cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why the hell bother

N/A

Why the hell bother

Just had plusnet do a whoosh test on my line to see if I would be able to recieve the 1 or 2mbit services. Result came back saying I couldn't even recieve the service I'm already on, so what the hell is the point of these tests.
4 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Why the hell bother

Hi,

Your line noise will vary depending on many factors and will deteriorate over time. All sorts of things, such as ambient temperature, telephone line devices or external noiuse sources can affect the test. We understand from BT that it is reasonably accurate at the time it is taken.

We frequently find lines that "In Theory" shoulden't support ADSL but actually work fine. This depends a lot on your own equipment and the actual snr (Signal to Noise Ratio) on your line. Unfortunately BT are very clinical when it comes to line tests during provisioning, as they don't want loads of Intermittant faults being raised after installation.

To be honest, the chances are that if you signed up as a new customer now you probably woulden't get ADSL at all, but by the same token you could find that if you signed up for 2MB, BT would deliver (Although I doubt it). That is the option we need to present for you and you have to decide whether the chance of getting a faster connection is worth it.

I would add that that BT are talking about systems improvements in August which will make the move to higher speed products painless. Once we have some more details about this we will make them available.

With Regards,

Ian Wild
PlusNet Customer Support
N/A

> Hi,
>
> Your line noise will vary depending on many factors and will deteriorate over time. All sorts of things, such as ambient temperature, telephone line devices or external noiuse sources can affect the test. We understand from BT that it is reasonably accurate at the time it is taken.
>
> We frequently find lines that "In Theory" shoulden't support ADSL but actually work fine. This depends a lot on your own equipment and the actual snr (Signal to Noise Ratio) on your line. Unfortunately BT are very clinical when it comes to line tests during provisioning, as they don't want loads of Intermittant faults being raised after installation.
>
> To be honest, the chances are that if you signed up as a new customer now you probably woulden't get ADSL at all, but by the same token you could find that if you signed up for 2MB, BT would deliver (Although I doubt it). That is the option we need to present for you and you have to decide whether the chance of getting a faster connection is worth it.
>
> I would add that that BT are talking about systems improvements in August which will make the move to higher speed products painless. Once we have some more details about this we will make them available.
>
> With Regards,
>
> Ian Wild
> PlusNet Customer Support

Thanks Ian for explaining this. So if I did sign up for 2mbit or 1 and I didn't get it are you saying I proably wouldn't even be able to revert back to my adsl as it is now? If thats the case I think I'll wait until they do the work in August.
N/A

> Thanks Ian for explaining this. So if I did sign up for 2mbit or 1 and I didn't get it are you saying I proably wouldn't even be able to revert back to my adsl as it is now? If thats the case I think I'll wait until they do the work in August.

Hi,

This is unfortunately possible - BT may say that your line has degraded since the service was first active and refuse to do a reprovide.
Having said that, if you are borderline on the 512k service it is highly unlikely you will be able to receive a 1 or 2Mb service in any case.

Regards,
Richard

--
| Richard Allen................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support.....................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd.........@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
N/A

>
> This is unfortunately possible - BT may say that your line has degraded since the service was first active and refuse to do a reprovide.
> Having said that, if you are borderline on the 512k service it is highly unlikely you will be able to receive a 1 or 2Mb service in any case.
>
> Regards,
> Richard

The woosh test is good, BUT it depends on the modem at the customers end. All our field tests normally use an Alcatel Stingray (which is known to work on a bit of damp string, where other modems die) & returns a low dB figure. Some firms modems add over 10 dB to the woosh results (I've even seen 15 dB added).