cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why not accept Visa Electron?

N/A

I've got a few friends wanting to join, but apparently you don't accept electron?

Why?

Rich
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Nope, nor Solo because they aren't designed for ongoing payments and PN get rapped on the knuckles if they allow this then it is returned. Can't your freinds us DD instead?
N/A

Why is it any different to accepting credit cards? Surely they're not designed for ongoing payments?

Dunno 'bout DD, i'll ask.
Community Veteran

Because, Solo and Electron check the bank a/c to ensure there are sufficient funds other cards do not do this and will let the transaction continue regardless.
N/A

Actualy, Solo and Electron cards are supposed to be used for "card holder present" transactions only.

IE, they are not supposed to be used on the internet.

The many companies that do accept them, use companies outside of the country to process your transactions. PlusNets own card processor, do not allow this.
LiamM
Grafter

That's not true either lol...

Solo and Electron are very widely used on the internet. It is true that they can only be processed 'On-Line' which requires immediate authorisation from the issuer. CC payment authorisation can be defferred. I enquired about opening an Internet Merchant account with Lloyds TSB Cardnet, Streamline (Natwest), HSBC and all accept Solo and Electron.

The PSPs I looked at SECpay, Protx and Worldpay also accept Solo and Electron. As do Paypal. And they are all based in this country.

The reason some companies do not accept Solo or Electron is because of the Authorisation issues. Some companies process payments in real-time, which is what is required of Solo and Electon, whilst others process payments in batches. As the card requires immediate authorisation, companies which process payments in batches cannot accept it (technically) as funds will not be guaranteed.

However, I managed to get around it, and I used my Solo card when signing up to Plusnet at my girlfriends house. I believe i setup PAYG, entered my card on the portal and then upgraded to BB. You cannot do this now. It worked because even though PN process in batches, at the time they took the payment, the card was authorised.
holdtight
Grafter

That's not true either lol...

Solo and Electron are very widely used on the internet. It is true that they can only be processed 'On-Line' which requires immediate authorisation from the issuer. CC payment authorisation can be defferred. I enquired about opening an Internet Merchant account with Lloyds TSB Cardnet, Streamline (Natwest), HSBC and all accept Solo and Electron.

Yep it is so !
ive also started to notice more and more online retailers are officially accepting electron now

so you never know one day hey plusnet Wink
N/A

Indeed, many of the Internet Merchants in the UK process these cards, but a company trading in the UK, may not always be processing the data in the UK though.

For a cheap and chearful example *COUGH* Wanadont.

Take a look at AOL and their own TAX dodging exploits.

Their own server may be located in the UK, but they may further relay the transaction offshore to be processed.
N/A

For the record, last time I heard, PlusNet used HSBC.

However, as they process Direct Debits, they are not classed as a Internet Merchant, thus can't appy for this status.

The complex world of do's an don't. Think of it as not being able to have a static IP if you have Broadband Plus Tongue

Edit
THIS post may be of some assistance, especialy the attached scan.
N/A

what you on about I use visa electron to pay my account
N/A

Indeed, many of the Internet Merchants in the UK process these cards, but a company trading in the UK, may not always be processing the data in the UK though.

For a cheap and chearful example *COUGH* Wanadont.

Take a look at AOL and their own TAX dodging exploits.

Their own server may be located in the UK, but they may further relay the transaction offshore to be processed.

Worldpay are part of the Halifax Bank of Scotland Group (originally part of Bank of Scotland pre-merger I believe).

It is to do with the recurring payment thing rather than Solo / Electron not being for internet use.

I pay my Bank of Scotland credit card via WorldPay using my Debit card.
LiamM
Grafter

I've just opened an account with Lloyds TSB Cardnet for accepting payments online. Visa Electron is not a problem, neither is Solo - and the card is authorised online.
N/A

i used my solo card to sign up with plusnet and didnt have a problem. i also used it when i migrated to freedom 2 surf and there was not a problem with it.