cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is it working?

N/A

Why is it working?

Common wisdom says a 2Mb account needs a line attenuation of 45dB or less and a Noise ratio of about 6dB or greater. Mine is currently 62db and 0dB respectively and have got BT arriving Friday to look at it. However, the last few days I've been getting great speeds (1800 mb/sec) and only occasional dropped line. Why is it working so well? I don't want BT to ask "what's your problem? You're wasting my time!"
5 REPLIES
N/A

Why is it working?

ADSL speeds will in theory work above 2Mb at 60dB (source HERE).

However, BT employ a policy of stability, over usability.

BT would prefer to set very conservative limits, in order to prevent being called out to lines that can't hold a stable connection.
N/A

Why is it working?

Wish they would sort mine out then... Mines only 53db atten and i have noise/ratio of 27/30
Surely I can get 2mb

Wish someone could convince BT to regrade me Sad
N/A

Why is it working?

Unfortunatly, as I noted, BT has a hard & fast policy of a set limit, designed to prevent people moaning and groaning they want it, only to moan and groan it doesn't work once they have it.

Prices would be greatly increased should they increase the limits significantly, because of the demand of support and BT to deal with such avoidable faults.

Bear in mind that the differance between 43dB and 56dB isn't just 13dB. It's a lagarythmic scale.

For every ~3dB, you lose 1/2 of the quality of the signal.
With a 13dB differance, you are down to less than 6% of the signal available at 43dB.

Bear in mind, whilst that is 6% for those 13dB, you have already lose a significant amount between 0dB and 43dB.
N/A

Why is it working?

It's a lagarythmic scale.

Logorhythmic? - not sure really - neither looks right Sad

Isn't there any type of hardware 'booster' that can be bought to amplify the signal?
I have heard mention of a similar sort of idea to allow the extension of CAT5 networks - surely somebody must have come up with something similar?
N/A

Why is it working?

Yes there is, but it create 2 problems.

1: It breaks the ANPF.

This is the technical documents, certifying exactly what power levels are allowed over copper, in order to prevent cross-talk between cables.

If every line in an exchange where to be enabled, there would be huge problems, even right now. Due to cross-talk preventing each cable working correctly.

2: Whilst you boost the signal, you also boost noise equaly.

Double the signal, double the noise = Exactly the same coming out of the end of the cable.