cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why has my bandwidth been limited for the last 2 days

N/A

Why has my bandwidth been limited for the last 2 days

I use a peer to peer file sharing program called direct connect the last two days my bandwidth has been severly reduced to that of a slow modem.

My old ISDN line was quicker than this.

Any Ideas, the port used is 412

19 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Why has my bandwidth been limited for the last 2 days

> I use a peer to peer file sharing program called direct connect the last two days my bandwidth has been severly reduced to that of a slow modem.
>
> My old ISDN line was quicker than this.
>
> Any Ideas, the port used is 412
>
>

I'm having the exact same problem m8, and am still waiting for a response from plusnet.
N/A

> > I use a peer to peer file sharing program called direct connect the last two days my bandwidth has been severly reduced to that of a slow modem.
> >
> > My old ISDN line was quicker than this.
> >
> > Any Ideas, the port used is 412
> >
> >
>
> I'm having the exact same problem m8, and am still waiting for a response from plusnet.

Got a reply from the tech support saying this was due to contention probrems, absolute RUBBISH!. THE BANDWIDTH IS BEEN RESTRICTED ON PEER TO PEER FILESHARING.
N/A

I have just hooked up to plusnet (since Saturday) and was really looking to use ADSL for Peer-to-Peer activities as well as surfing, etc.

I am sadly dissapointed so far. Peer-to-Peer is VERY SLOW. Is there a problem or is Plusnet pulling a fast one, or should that be a slow one.

General browsing seems to be okay, however periodically my connection drops and the ADSL modem has to reconnect. Is this normal?

N/A

> General browsing seems to be okay, however periodically my connection drops and the ADSL modem has to reconnect. Is this normal?

I was about to ask the same question, it has only happened once so far but Ive only had dsl for a few days. Anyone got any ideas as to why this might happen?
N/A

If anyone remembers, this happened a few months ago. P2P was terrible, and PlusNet stalled for ages, made up loads of excuses, and after about 2 months of waiting the new pipe they'd been going on about arrived. It solved all the problems, but basically, as soon as the service became oversubscribed again the traffic management would kick in and cripple all P2P stuff, because it's low priority, apparently.

So, I'm guessing there's too many users for the service again?

> I use a peer to peer file sharing program called direct connect the last two days my bandwidth has been severly reduced to that of a slow modem.
>
> My old ISDN line was quicker than this.
>
> Any Ideas, the port used is 412
>
>

N/A

i got the same reply as above "maybe down to contention" we must all be on the same exchange Wink wonder if plusnet will contact bt and tell them the exchange is full!!!!
N/A

Hi guys, i've been debating this issue with tech support over the last couple of days.

I am having problems with Kazaa and Direct connect.

So far i have been told that the problems could be down to contention ratios, p2p networks and server overcrowding.

The problem seems to manifest itself when connecting to people on other isps, so perhaps it is a peering problem at lynx?
I suggested this, and was told that there may be a problem, but they haven't been told about it..
N/A

As I said on the Plus forum I think your all jumping the gun a little, I've had no problems at all with P2P, speeds are great, it all depends what your downloading and off who, I have noticed the line drop once or twice in the last week or so but it always corrects itself again within a minute or two.

Oli
N/A

I wouldn't say i was jumping the gun at all, myself and one of the other posters here have both tested this with friends on other isps, who we know we should get much faster speeds from. But instead we've suffered maximums of 3 k/s.

At 02:48, 23rd july my connection seems to have solved itself.

My total downstream speed is 41.2 k/s and my total upload speed is 16.4 k/s, both from p2p, and i'm not too sure what the computer in the other room is getting!

I am hoping this problem has now ceased, and that i can go back to enjoying my plusnet experience.
And i wish you all good luck with your own problems!
N/A

What ever was done last night worked as the speeds are back to normal this morning.

Thankyou
benoh
Grafter

> What ever was done last night worked as the speeds are back to normal this morning.
>
> Thankyou

No work was done last night, it was scheduled for 6AM but due to hardware problems its been rescheduled for tommorow morning instead. This will cause a total break in ADSL connectivity for a couple of minutes.

I can confirm that there is NO blocks in place on any p2p applications at the moment.

Ben O'Hara
Systems Engineer
PlusNet Technologies Ltd.

Currently sat in Telehouse twiddling thumbs till tommorow morning Smiley
N/A

>it was scheduled for 6AM but due to hardware problems

Hardware problems that could have caused our speed problems? Wink
benoh
Grafter

> >it was scheduled for 6AM but due to hardware problems
>
> Hardware problems that could have caused our speed problems? Wink

Nope, the hardware is new and hasnt yet been put in.

Ben
N/A

> No blocks at the moment? eh, what are the plans.

Things are slower tonight, but that is normal.