cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why don't I get anywhere near 8Mb?

SteveE
Grafter

I'm on Max (for at least the last 5 months), my profile here says so (8000kpbs), yet I have never achieved even 2.5Mb at any time. I switch my wireless router on and off regularly, and check my connections also. Today the Broadband Max speed test gave Download of 1443 kbps and upload of 379kbps, which is fairly typical for my line.

I raised a fault some time ago, which discovered no problems, so what's the story? By the way, I've tried connecting to the master socket etc. and no difference.
15 REPLIES
evansbb

It could be that you are too far away from your exchange. A good checker is here http://www.samknows.com/broadband/checker2.php
Community Veteran

What speed are you actually syncing at?

What line stats does your router show?

The speed you get it dependant of the quality of your line AND the distance you are from the exchange. Basically the further away you are, the slower your connection will be. It is also dependant on contension at the exchange and what BT central pipe you are on.

You may also be on LLU (http://usertools.plus.net/@gateway will tell you) in which case the profile is not used.
SteveE
Grafter

I am 1.6km from the exchange, whose status is green, and connecting via the Telehouse N, Juniper 1 gateway.

How do I find out what I'm synching at? Is it the BT Speed test?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

That's probably the best as it will also give your BRAS rate
Community Veteran

But it will not show SNT or line attenuation which are equally important in determining your possible speed.

What router do you use? Try here for info on common routers.
SteveE
Grafter

BT Voyager 2100 stats:

Downstream: Line rate 1856 kbps; SNR 15.9dB; Attenuation 51.0dB, output 17.3dBM

Upstream: 448 kbps; Noise 16.0dB; attenuation 31.5 dB
Community Veteran

OK, two things come to mind from that...

1) Your profile appears to be set to SNR of 15dB which will limit the speed you will get. I suspect you have been hit by the exchange thinking your line is bad and upping the min SNR it will sync at. The bad news is there is nothing you can do to get it lower. I know, I tried for months with a similar setting and any others have tried also. Its one of the most annoying things I have with BT max which don't exist with my LLU connection.

2) The line stats suggest a line length more like 4 -> 4.5KM, not 1.6KM. The 1.6 may be a direct line distance but it appears your line takes a much longer route back to the exchange and thus the quality and expectations for speed are reduced accordingly. If the line is a short as you say, then your quality really is bad.

The bad news is it is unlikely to get any better. Its a shame because my guess is your line would support 3 -> 3.5Meg.
jrgrahamcov
Grafter

Yes this is why I get 2Mb. The route from the exhange to my house goes out through the old part of town first and then back in and round the newer part where I live. I am not that far at all really from the exchange in s straight line but it is quite a distance due to the route the cabling takes.

Having said that my connection is very stable at 2Mb.
shellsong
Grafter

@eason

I would tend to be a bit more optimistic than Peter depending on your line not suffering from major noise spikes. If this were the case you could quite possibly achieve a synch rate of about 5.5 Mbps otherwise, with MaxDSL technology in particular, any brief major excursions tend to knock you back drastically so that it takes days to recover from a setback achieved in moments

See http://www.beforum.co.uk/forum/default.aspx?f=2&m=3875 for average and max synch rates versus attenuation from samples of real broadband connections
Community Veteran

My line does not fit on that graph i.e. I never achieved the sync rate shown for the line attenuation I had on Max - ATT 56dB SNR 16dB (when on a 1Mbs connection) gave me a max of 2.5Mbs @ 6dB.

What that graph does not show is what SNR figures existed as that is more critical than line attenuation for Max.
shellsong
Grafter

I've found that the graph is a pretty good indicator on the whole if you consider the connections sampled to have had a target noise margin of 6 dB

I've also found that all except a small, unfortunate percentage of people on ADSL2+ seem to be able to achieve close to the max figure at the test socket (if they have one) so often their wiring can be sorted so they can achieve the max

However it seems to be very difficult to achieve the same sort of results with MaxDSL because of the clunky "control by BT/ISP committee and let it sort itself out over a few/10 days" approach unless, like me, you've got plenty of SNR in hand
SteveE
Grafter

So does this mean I would potentially be better off moving back to fixed line rather than Max?
N/A

Same here !!

Have been trying to progress problem with p/n here. Its quite simply I am syncing at 7.5 megs -

i can see my exchange out of the window-

I have never seen much more than top twos - recently lucky to get 1 meg

Doing the BT tests as asked --but really, your modem sync tells a tale of snr and line qual- Still not sure who is to blame but somebodys got a hole in the pipe somewhere ??

Oh and after nigh on two years it's gonna cost me 65 squid to leave - feeling conned - i am ! Grin and bear I guess.
sam
Grafter

When you have completed the speedtests, please add the results to the ticket open on your account and PM me the results and I will have a look at them.

From an account perspective the correct speeds are set and I can see nothing that would limit the connection, so we will need to look at this as a line issue.