cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why don't I ever achieve the top speed?

flicker
Grafter

I've been on Maxdsl for a couple of weeks now. I keep running the tests, and am averaging out at around 4500kpbs on the recommended bb checker. I also use the BT one a fair bit, and normally do one test during peak, and at least one off peak. I am 150 metres from the exchange, with a good line, so just wondering why I never get anywhere near the speed my profile says. Only once have I got over 7000. Just done one now -

IP profile for your line is - 7150 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 8128 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 5262 kbps

5262 is roughly what I get most times. Any idea why I can't get it higher?
15 REPLIES
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 159

Depending on the time of day you will see slower or faster speeds as contention has an effect, more people using the service will cause slight slowdowns.

The following page should give you some good information on MAX dsl and how it works.

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/dslmax_guide.shtml
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Have you tweaked your RWIN and MTU settings? Particularly if RWIN is too low it will restrict your speeds.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

PS Have a read of http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?p=411571#411571 as this concerned RWIN settings
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
flicker
Grafter

Thanks to you both for replying. I have done the speed tests at what I would consider to be off peak, eg, 6.30 am, 7.30 am and after midnight on occasion, still only ever get between 4500 to 5400 speed, it doesn't seem to slow down much even during the peak times.

Elvin, thanks I have read the thread through that you linked to and it would seem that he had the same sort of problem as me, well on a worse scale really. However, I haven't the faintest idea how to "tweak" my RWIN and MTU settings, I don't even know where to find this information. Is it something in my wireless router settings? If you could kindly point me in the right direction, I am willing to have a go, but don't really have much idea! I got another router/modem about a month back now, and don't really know much about the info on it. It's a DLink DSL-904. :?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

First thing to do is run the following test

http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks

once the test completes it will ask a couple of questions about the connection and the OS, if you think post the result URL back we'll be able to suggest what to do next.
flicker
Grafter

flicker
Grafter

erm, what happened to my help? Sad
flicker
Grafter

Hi,

First thing to do is run the following test

http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks

once the test completes it will ask a couple of questions about the connection and the OS, if you think post the result URL back we'll be able to suggest what to do next.

Was it something I said? Still waiting for some help please, am only getting an average speed in the 4,000s.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Sorry, for some reason missed your post. Can you check the link please as it's just giving:

Incorrect URL or result no longer saved.

You may need to rerun the test if it's not saved anymore.
flicker
Grafter

Voila -

http://www.dslreports.com/tweakr/block:479fc4f?service=wireless&speed=7150&os=winXP&via=normal

Smiley

PS One thing I'm finding strange - when I run the Speedtest this time of the morning, I rarely get even 2.0kpbs, I wouldn't have thought this would be peak times, I get better speeds at night time. :?

Here's an example, just done two tests within the last 15 mins. The speed I'm getting at this time of the morning is worse than when I was on 2meg
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

The MTU is a little on the lower side as is the RWIN. I would make two suggestions. Download DrTCP

http://www.dslreports.com/front/drtcp.html

and first just try a different RWIN of 108800. Leave everything else as it is, save and close DrTCP, reboot the PC and try the speedtests again and see if it makes a difference.

If that makes little difference then I'd suggest increasing the MTU to 1458 and set the RWIN to 113400. Again save and reboot and see if it makes any improvement.
flicker
Grafter

Thanks for replying. I have gone to the page you have linked to and not sure what bit I have to download, theres about 10 items to click on. However, I've done the latest one which is DRTCP021exe is that correct? But then I don't see anything to alter for RWIN. There is a box at the top which says Tcp receive window with a figure of 65535 in it, is this the thing I have to alter to 108800? The box at the bottom which says MTU is currently blank. All other boxes say Default. Sorry to be thick but this is all new to me Shockedops:
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 159

Yep it is the TCP receive window setting that is the RWIN figure. Altering this to 108800 may help you squeeze the last drops of speed out of your line.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
flicker
Grafter

Thanks very much for your help. I've tried the first alteration and didn't get any improvement, so now gone for the second option, and it was even worse, lol. I will leave it like that for now and try a few times with the speed test later and tomorrow, if not, will revert back to how it was, at least I know what to do now. Cheers. Cheesy