cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does my speed vary so much today?

Dizzley
Grafter

I've had a 512k conn. for months and always got 470-480k result from the PN speed test. Yesterday, things seemed a bit sloppy and I was getting 330k.

This morning 0830 I got 340k and was ready to log a ticket :? but at 0930 it was back at 477k :shock:

What's going on? Did the digital tide go out and come back again? Wink

Aside: I was watching my speed because I just requested an upgrade to 1M. And For the last 2 evenings I've had the phones chirrup at around 0430 suggesting a bit of ferreting at the exchange. Can't wait...

So in the style of the cast of Eastenders: Wots goin' on? Smiley

/Pete
5 REPLIES
pansy
Dabbler

Low speeds

I have been having exactly the same problem for the past few days. PlusNet always say it is nothing to do with them but ... I have checked with BT and my downsteam time is 576 and upstream 288 - so how come my speed with PlusNet is only between 291 and 299 for quite a while and then goes up to 400 odd? It must be something to do with PlusNet but they are so unhelpful, in fact one guy recently was downright rude. I'm thinking of changing.
Community Veteran

ADSL is a contended service - meaning there are many users sharing the resources at the exchange and at further points between you and you destination.

As such when things are busy and lots of ADSL users are active, your throughput reduces due to contention. Remember it's a bank holiday so there will be more traffic that normal.

That is just one explaination. There are many others that could effect your speed from slow websites, network problems, PC problems, spyware/malware/viruses running on your PC using up your ADSL bandwidth etc.
Dizzley
Grafter

when things are busy and lots of ADSL users are active, your throughput reduces due to contention... ...There are many others that could effect your speed from slow websites, network problems, PC problems, spyware/malware/viruses running on your PC using up your ADSL bandwidth etc.

Contention would be a reasonable explanation, I just never saw it before in 9 months. (just lucky?)

The other reasons you offer may explain a general disaffection but don't explain what happened in my case:

Slow website? It was the PlusNet speed test.
    Network problem? Maybe on the WAN? ...only person awake at home...
    PC Problem? I tried two PCs...
    Malware? I'm squeaky clean! Unless SP2 is malware? Wink

Thanks anyway Peter.

/Pete
N/A

you have to bear in mind that 9 months ago there were probably less people connected to your local exchange, and not just for adsl but for all telco products. As the exchange starts to reach its limits contended services get reduced bandwidth so that uncontended (ie phone lines etc..) remain uneffected.

One usefull tool for this would be http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/ though I've found that the information provided on this is very limited and often not upto date.

As for network problem I belive petervaughan was refering to the actual internet network. When ever you access anything on the net it has to go through a chain of computers and if at any point of this network theres a problem it will cause problems. This sadly is the nature of the internet.

If your service has returned to normal for you now and remains so then I would just chalk it upto a quirk of the net rather than any particular fault.
Dizzley
Grafter

All this is only for interest and education only. (No fault now).
bear in mind that 9 months ago there were probably less people connected to your local exchange...

One usefull tool for this would be http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/ ...

When ever you access anything on the net it has to go through a chain of computers and if at any point of this network theres a problem it will cause problems...

Yes. More users on the exchange. But - my exchange shows all green. Not much detail there.
Also, the Internet doesn't figure - I was using the speed test at PlusNet. All hops were internal to +NetWink. See traceroute report:

1 4 ms 3 ms 2 ms solwise [192.168.7.1]
2 28 ms 29 ms 27 ms lo0.plusnet.pth-ag1.plus.net [195.166.128.11]
3 25 ms 26 ms 27 ms gi1-2.vlan3.pth-gw3.plus.net [212.159.1.2]
4 28 ms 26 ms 32 ms gi5-0-22.pth-gw2.plus.net [195.166.129.213]
5 35 ms 34 ms 34 ms atm0-1-0.ptb-gw1.plus.net [195.166.129.246]
6 33 ms 31 ms 31 ms vl4.sec.ptb-gw3.plus.net [195.166.129.227]
7 34 ms 35 ms 34 ms if2.ptb-al1.plus.net [195.166.129.39]
8 33 ms 32 ms 32 ms portal.plus.net [212.159.8.137]

So the only network involved is the BT WAN and PlusNet.
Mmm. Next time, I'm going to get a traceroute to check for any visible latency.
I can buy contention but experience has shown diddly contention so far. AIUI contention can lead to drops in speed in peak periods. But 0820 on Sunday and BH Monday mornings?

All fair comment though codezero. Thanks.

/Pete